open/close all folders
Seven o' Seven
Portrayed by: Mika Nakashima
- Blue Oni: To Hachi's Red.
- Even the Girls Want Her
- Fatal Flaw: Her jealousy towards Trapnest's success and the resentment she sometimes feels towards Ren because of it. She continuously pushes him away because of this, which causes a painful back-and-forth of emotional highs and lows for her and Ren.
- Friendless Back Ground
- I Just Want to Have Friends
- Missing Mom
- Nice Girl: Nana can be a Deadpan Snarker but she is kind-hearted and caring.
- Raised by her Grandma
- Tomboy: To Hachi's Girly Girl.
Voiced by: Creator/KAORI (JP), Kelly Sheridan (EN)
- Adoptive Peer Parent: She's this to Shin.
- Break His Heart to Save Him: See Character Development spoiler below.
- Character Development: Probably more so than anyone else in the series. She begins as a hopeless romantic, who has the unflattering traits of also being needy, self-centered, and overly concerned more in appearances than the actual content of a person. Fast-forward and she chooses a man, who she knows is unfaithful to her and who's love is questionable, over a guy she knows cares about her and that she genuinely loves because she knows the former can provide for her the lifestyle she wants for her and her child without sacrificing his dream (since he already has it) while the latter would have to give up his dream just to support her.
- Fatal Flaw: Self-centeredness. She is constantly smacking herself on the head for not taking into account others' feelings before doing or saying something. It makes her actions in her character development all the more poignant.
- Genki Girl
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: For Nana O. and Nobu; the reason why she choose to raise her baby with Takumi.
- I Just Want to Be Loved
- Girly Girl: To Nana's Tomboy.
- Living Emotional Crutch: She becomes this to Nana after Ren's death. To the extent that if Hachi ever abandons her or is taken away from her, Nana may fall back into her broken state.
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places
- Love at First Sight: If only Junko had a dime for every time Hachi "fell in love".Junko: Nana, I get the idea you came here to get yourself a boyfriend, right?
- Love Martyr: With Takumi.
- Love Revelation Epiphany: Nobu; when he vows that he'll show Takumi that he'll be better than him for Hachi, and it was confirmed when he officially proclaimed his love for her by the river.
- Nice Girl
- Only Known by Their Nickname: She's populary known as "Hachi" in and out of universe.
- Parental Substitute: Hachi becomes this to Misato and Shin. Shin tells her that he wished that he was born her child. Later she officially becomes to Shin by calling herself his mother
- Red Oni: To Nana and Junko's blue.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: In her teens.
- Team Mom
- Team Chef: One of the things that Hachi is most noted for by the rest of the characters is her cooking. She prepares lunch/dinner for everyone during the Mahjong match at apartment 707 where Ren & Takumi complimented her cooking. She's often cooks great meals during the get-togethers with Nana O. and Blast. Even Naoki compliments her on her cooking when he first meets her at her new apartment with Takumi.
- Through His Stomach: She expresses the non-romantic form of this for Nana O. and the members of Blast. Also Takumi romantically during their fling, engagement and marriage.
- Who's Your Daddy?: It's between Takumi and Nobu.
- Wrong Guy First: She experiences twice over with Takashi Asano and then later Takumi, who was great for a fling but necessarily an exclusive relationship three times over if you include she got back together with Takumi and married him but he wasn't a faithful attentive husband. When he goes to London in the future, Hachi looks to be in reconciliation with Nobu.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: He even stopped drinking for a while because of this.
- Cannot Spit It Out: He tries to confess to Hachi after finding out Takumi slept her but lost his nerve and ran out but not before claiming that he'll show Takumi, leaving Hachi bewildered about that statement. He finally does after talking with Shin about the one thing he has over Takumi; that he genuinely loves Hachi. Also somewhat of an Anguished Declaration of Love.
- Fatal Flaw: He idealizes women to a fault. This made him unable to really understand Hachi's needs, pushing her to choose Takumi, who would never hold her faults against her because he sees her as human. This also becomes a rubbing point and source of irony when he starts dating Yuri, an AV actress.
- Nice Guy
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Hachi shows this with him. Later Yuri, after Hachi chooses Takumi for her baby. Possibly with Hachi in the flash-forwards moments.
- Abusive Parents: His adoptive father, who was his late mother's husband and didn't love Shin or claim him as his own son.
- Dysfunctional Family: Shin was a product of his mother having affair abroad. His mother committed suicide not long after Shin was born. Although his mother's husband adopted him and raised him, he refused to acknowledge Shin as his son. He found true parental love with Hachi, who became his Parental Substitute.
- Even the Guys Want Him
- Freaky Fashion, Mild Mind
- Happily Adopted: He becomes this with Hachi.
- Prostitute with a Heart of Gold
- Minor Living Alone: He was this before Staying with Friends with Nobu.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: The blue to Layla's Pink.
- Wise Beyond Their Years
- Younger Than They Look
- Bald of Awesome
- Big Brother Mentor
- Cool Shades
- Fatal Flaw: He puts the needs of others over his own. He more than once buries his own feelings for Nana O. because he knows Ren needs her and arguably she needs him too.
- Happily Adopted: Yasu was adopted by the Takagi couple and grew up in a happy and loving family.
- Nice Guy: Takagi is kind, caring, loyal, protective, and selfless.
- Team Dad
- The Mentor
- Fatal Flaw: Two: his love for Nana and his self-destructive tendencies. He relapses into a bad drug habit when Nana O. focuses more on her career than him. This was a habit he picked up BECAUSE they had broken up initially.
- Lady Killer In Love: Was known for getting around before falling in love with Nana O.
Portrayed by: Yuna Ito
- But Not Too Foreign: She's half-American, but keeps it a secret and goes by the name of Reira.
- Childhood Friends: With Takumi.
- Childhood Friend Romance / Unlucky Childhood Friend: With Takumi, even after becoming The Mistress to him.
- Hair Color Dissonance: Pink? Light brown? Vaguely blonde?
- My God, What Have I Done?: When Layla realizes Ren crashed his car and died on his way to bring her back after she ran away, she enters an Angst Coma and is admitted to the hospital after fainting from malnutrition. Her energy quickly returns, but she believes Ren left Japan for England.
- Operation: Jealousy: She did this with Yasu to get Takumi jealous. While it didn't work, she found some happiness with Yasu's steadiness.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: Known and loved Takumi since childhood, but unrequited.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: The pink to Shin's Blue... if you can call her hair pink.
- Sex Changes Everything: Takumi's view of her changes but not necessarily for the better or as she hoped.
- Spell My Name With an L... or R: Her name is often romanized as "Reira" but she's named after the song "Layla".
- The Mistress: To Takumi.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys
- Bastard Boyfriend
- Fatal Flaw: Selfish. He cares about himself first and Trapnest second as it is an extension of himself. He only cares about the Trapnest members so far as they don't do anything (or get caught for anything) that will ruin the band's reputation and therefore his own as well. Everything and everyone else are only of value by what they can provide for him.
- Jerk Ass: His most defining trait.
- Jerk With A Heartof Gold: He's often like this but especially with Layla and Hachi.
- Like Brother and Sister: How he views his relationship with Layla.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: In other words, he's a bit of a Barbarian Longhair.
- Married to the Job: Leader of Trapnest who wants his band to stay on top as long as possible. Trapnest comes first. Contributes greatly with his relationship troubles with Layla, who is the band's singer and is in unrequited love with Takumi, and Nana K., who is his pregnant fiancee and later wife who he constantly leaves alone due to his obligations and Layla.
- Why Would Anyone Take Him Back?
- Your Cheating Heart
- A Day in the Limelight: Naoki received his own extra story about his junior high school and high school days, when he first met Yasu, Ren, Takumi, and Layla.
- Glam Rock: Naoki first joined a glam rock band in his junior high school's light music club before becoming a member of what would become Trapnest. His favorite musicians were T Rex, Roxy Music, Lou Reed and David Bowie; however, Takumi was against playing music that didn't suit Layla's voice.
- Lesser Star: He's popular in-universe as Trapnest's Genki Guy drummer, but when speaking of the actual plot, Naoki has the least (or zero) problems compared to his band mates and is never at the center of any drama.
Misato Uehara / Mai Tsuzuki
- Ascended Fangirl: She is a fan of Black Stones from the same hometown as the band, and even travels all the way to see their first gig in Tokyo. She ends up joining Gaia Records and becoming Nana's manager.
- Given Name Reveal: Misato Uehara is discovered to be the name of Nana's real maternal half-sister. However, Misato used it as an alias to get closer to Nana; her real name being Mai Tsuzuki.
Voiced by: Saeko Chiba (JP)
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Her and Yasu.
- Self-Harm: Miu wears long-sleeved shirts to cover the scars on her wrists.
- Younger Than They Look
Yuri Kosaka / Asami Matsumoto
Voiced by: Reiko Suho (JP)
- Clingy Jealous Girl / Green-Eyed Monster: She doesn't like Hachi because of her past relationship with Nobu and because the two them still have feelings for each other, even after Nobu started dating Yuri and Hachi married Takumi. Asami thinks Hachi wants to take Nobu away from her and often calls her "Takumi's wife". When Nana starts singing and talking to others again after Ren's death, Asami insensitively tells her she won't need Hachi (who has been Nana's Living Emotional Crutch) anymore.
- Idol Singer: Yasu mentions that Asami used to be one; however, her popularity didn't last and she became an AV actress instead.
- Porn Name: Yuri Kosaka is the name she uses for AV. Asami Matsumoto is her real name.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: While Miu and Yasu are still together in the flash forward scenes, Asami hasn't been seen or mentioned yet.
Voiced by: Susumu Chiba (JP)
- Jerk Ass With A Heart Of Gold: His occupation as a photographer for a tabloid magazine automatically makes him a jerkass, however...
- Kurata convinces Nana's mother Misuzu to bring back her second daughter Misato, who ran away to Tokyo and could be in danger, and lies to his boss that he didn't find out why Misuzu abandoned Nana though she did tell him.
- Then, later that night, he is the "first" person to discover Ren's crash and gets yelled at by his boss for not taking any photos of the scene despite it not being appropriate. When paparazzi have surrounded the funeral home, he can't bring himself to take any photos
- In the flash forwards, Kurata is the one who finds Nana singing in an English pub after she had disappeared, but he once again lies to his boss that Nana is rumored to have already "died at sea" and instead mails the photos he took to Hachi.