Voiced by: Soichiro HoshiThe protagonist of Muv-Luv Extra, Unlimited, and Alternative, he also happens to be good looking and a nice guy, so he ends up fairly popular with girls. Not that he ever notices.
- The Beard: During Ayamine's route she asks him to be her fake boyfriend because she's avoiding Sagiri. She mentions that it doesn't have to be fake at the same time but he doesn't take it seriously.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Sumika.
- Birds of a Feather: He is similar with Sumika in various ways: They like to hit and make fun of each other, they are rather ditzy and sometimes hot-blooded when it comes to their favorite hobbies.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Takeru is generally talented both athletically and physically, but tends to be rather lazy.
- Butt-Monkey: Especially when Meiya, Ayamine or Yuuko is concerned.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Potentially with Sumika.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: He made one with Meiya, but had forgotten about it.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: To Meiya and Sumika. Downplayed with the other girls.
- Determinator: He can go to extreme lengths to helps his circle of friends.
- First-Person Smartass
- Forgotten First Meeting: During the events of Extra, he keeps making dreams of his childhood with Sumika. Some of them are actually from his early days with Meiya and his Childhood Marriage Promise with her.
- The Heart: He is this for the female cast.
- Heroic Mime: In Extra, none of his lines are voiced.
- Hot-Blooded: Once he is on something, he gets pretty passionate about it.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He has a rather vicious sense of humor, especially when Sumika's concerned, but his circle of friends find him reliable and trustworthy.
- The Nicknamer
- Only Sane Man: While every other character have a exaggerated character trait, he seems pretty normal. It helps him in the Lacrosse tournament, where he pinpoints the various flaws of the team.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Obviously.
- Quit Your Whining: Best demonstrated during the lacrosse match. In general, he is prone to these when someone gets depressed with personnal issues.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives one to the lacrosse team. They get better afterwards.
Voiced by: Hiroko TaguchiSumika is Takeru's childhood friend. She's very obviously in love with him from the start, but since he's dense he has yet to catch on. Sumika and Takeru tend to have a fairly abusive friendship.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Takeru.
- Birds of a Feather: She shares many quirks with Takeru, explaining why they are so much at each other's throats.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: If Takeru so much as looks at another girl, Sumika gets...violent.
- Coy, Girlish Flirt Pose
- Expressive Hair: Handy for all sorts of interpretations!
- Girl Next Door: Her childhood friend and neighbour since they were children.
- Hair Intakes: She has a rather impressive pair of intakes that look like cat ears.
- Idiot Hair
- Image Song: Divergence, which is also the all-ages Extra OP.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Patient Childhood Love Interest
- Rapunzel Hair
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Meiya's blue.
- Romantic Runner-Up: Played straight in Meiya's route, where Takeru won't choose Meiya over her until the very last second; Downplayed in all the others (though its more noticeable in Sakaki's route) and obviously averted in her own.
- Satellite Love Interest: This is literally her entire gimmick; she really, REALLY likes Takeru. She even admits in the climax of her Extra route that she doesn't have what the other heroines (especially Meiya) have going for them (even Takeru is smarter than her!); her antics are just an act to make her more endearing.
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: Happens every time if Takeru is nearby.
- Tsundere: Type B.
Voiced by: Kazumi OkushimaA strange girl who simply moves in one day, Meiya is the heir of the Mitsurugi Group. She is highly talented at essentially anything she does, but appears rather socially clueless. For reasons unknown to Takeru, she has apparently decided she is going to marry him.
- Alliterative Name: Meiya Mitsurugi.
- Badass Adorable
- Bedmate Reveal: She first appears when she suddenly appears in Takeru's bed one morning, to his confusion and Sumika's great dismay.
- Born in the Wrong Century: With her mannerisms it seems like she'd have been better off living about two centuries back or so.
- Expy: According to Word of God, She has the hairstyle of a certain nuke-equipped Gundam, with a personality modeled on that of Lafiel from Banner of the Stars.
- Forgotten First Meeting: Takeru met Meiya when they were kids and they made a Childhood Marriage Promise; one day they would get married during the last visit she would make to the park in Hiiragi, before she was slated to be adopted out.
- Hair Intakes: Her hairstyle includes a pair of intakes that look like cat ears.
- Image Song: -sion- ("The Sound of Purple"). Also serves as the OP of all-ages Unlimited.
- Leitmotif: The eponymous Meiya(though its only used in Alternative).
- Lethal Chef: Meiya's attempts at making rice balls result in three days of nonstop explosions in the kitchen. The end result is a small, charred lump.
- New Transfer Student
- Rapunzel Hair
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Sumika's red.
- Romantic Runner-Up: Played straight in Sumika's route, where Takeru won't choose Sumika over her until the very last second - and in the end both characters agree that Meiya's presence helped them realize their feelings for each other; Downplayed in all the others (though it's more noticeable in Ayamine's route) and obviously averted in her own.
- Samurai Ponytail: While Meiya isn't really a samurai or anything, she certainly seems to act like one.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality
- Troubled Fetal Position: She ends up in this after her Lethal Chef moment.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Voiced by: Minami HokutoMiki is a small, friendly girl in Takeru's class. She gets along well with others, but gets nervous easily and dislikes confrontation. She bears a strong resemblance to a cat, so Takeru usually calls her Tama based both on her family name and a common cat name in Japan.
- Animal Motif: Cats. She even wears a cat tail and a bell along with having her hair look like cat ears.
- Anime Hair: Her hairstyle looks like a pair of cat ears.
- Archer Archetype: Played with. She's trying to fit into this personality at least when she's on the archery range but she gets really nervous.
- Big Ol' Unibrow: Gains one when she gets angry or surprised.
- Crash-Into Hello: Her very first appearance is this.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Hair Intakes: She has a pair of intakes that resemble cat ears, along with her rare cat ears hairstyle.
- Heir to the Dojo
- Third-Person Person: Lapses into this during emotional moments.
- Token Mini-Moe
- Performance Anxiety: Actually a very skilled and accurate archer, but completely loses her cool when she realizes her friends are watching her.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: She has pink hair and she's very cute and cheerful.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has pink hair.
Voiced by: Yuko NagashimaA strong but weird girl in Takeru's class, Ayamine seems to enjoy messing with others. She tends to be very unemotive and butts heads with Sakaki frequently due to their similar personalities.
- Boobs of Steel: She’s probably the most physically powerful of the heroines in Extra. She’s also easily the bustiest.
- The Gadfly: She really, really likes to mess with people. Particularly people with the last names of Shirogane and Sakaki.
- Idiot Hair
- Image Song: Astraea, which is also used in her ending in all-ages Extra.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Painting the Medium: At one point, Takeru tells her not to appear so suddenly. After a short pause, she agrees and enters the scene again, but this time her character sprite only shows up slowly. Who knows what this looked like from Takeru's perspective.
- Purple Eyes
- Rebellious Spirit: Especially if Sakaki is involved.
- Rei Ayanami Expy: Short hair, Purple Eyes, potential love interest, cold and aloof, yet weird personality and a name that closely resembles to the original's. The one thing that sets her apart from most examples is her tendency to mess with people.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality
- Trademark Favorite Food: Yakisoba bread.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A.
Voiced by: Reiko Takagi (Akane Maniax OVA), Megumi Kubota (all other appearances)Takeru's only apparent male friend, Mikoto is as much of a fan of the arcade game Valgern-On as Takeru. He looks quite girly and rarely pays much attention to others.
- Ambiguous Gender: He's referred to as a boy in Extra, yet suspiciously used a Modesty Towel during the group's stay in the hot springs. Several lines in Alternative by Mikoto's father seem to support the hypothesis that Mikoto was a girl even in Extra.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!
- Attractive Bent-Gender: One particular scene has Mikoto replacing a team member in the Women's Lacrosse team and wearing their uniform, prompting Meiya to ask why it looks so good on him.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Mikoto is a rather odd character. He never seems to pay attention to what people are saying.
- Even the Guys Want Him: He apparently receives entire lockers' worth of love letters from both male and female students on a regular basis.
- Gender-Blender Name: "Mikoto" can be a male or female name depending on the kanji used. In Extra, it's rendered as a masculine name (as she was raised by her father as the son he'd never had), while in Unlimited and Alternative, it's rendered as a feminine name.
- Hair Antennae
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Voiced by: Masayo KurataSakaki is the class representative of Takeru's class. She's very fussy and a stickler for rules, though she's also surprisingly competitive. She tends to get into fights with Ayamine due to their similar personalities.She is best friends with Akane Suzumiya, the class representative of 3-D.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Class Representative
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her route takes a sharp turn towards the end with the revelation that her mother was a glorified prostitute who turned a blind eye if clients took an interest in young Chizuru.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: She has a lot of trouble accepting sympathy and support. In Extra, it's because she fears it makes her like her mother, who she doesn't get along with.
- Friendly Rivalry: With Akane.
- Image Song: Kizu wa Kaseki ni Narenai Keredo ("Won't Let My Wounds Scar"), which plays in her all-ages Extra end.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Marth Debuted in "Smash Bros.": She appears onscreen way ahead of the rest of cast of Extra, with a cameo in the Rumbling Hearts anime, and a greater role in the ~Next Season~ OVA as Akane's confidante.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Troubled Fetal Position: Shirogane finds her in the locker room like this after the lacrosse match.
- Tsundere: Type A. In her route Takeru calls her out on it and tells her to drop the act, something which is extremely rare in anime and related media.
Voiced by: Miki InoueTakeru and company's homeroom teacher in Extra, who has difficulty holding onto her boyfriends, something for which she is endlessly teased by her old friend and fellow teacher Yuuko.
"When you get to the point where you can laugh at your mistakes, you'll find new things to replace what you lost."
- Childhood Friends: With Yuuko. In Chizuru's route, the school principal makes a remark about how the two of them were taught by him in their own high school days, and then came back to give him grief as teachers later on.
- Christmas Cake: Her exact age is difficult to pin down, but she’s teased mercilessly about this by Yuuko.
- Hair Intakes: The two "cat ears" in her hair.
- Image Song: Calling, which serves double duty as the ED of Muv-Luv Alternative Chronicles sidestories.
- In-Series Nickname: "Mad Dog" in both worlds, though the reason differs: In Extra it's due to her insatiable... "appetite" (especially when drunk).
- Rapunzel Hair
- Sensei-chan: Takeru has gotten into the habit of calling her Marimo-chan, much to her exasperation.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Yuuko teases her endlessly about Shirogane especially when they're both present, though Shirogane doesn't take it seriously. In Extra, she has a very short miniroute, but it has little to do with romance since they're both very drunk.
Voiced by: Emi MotoiMarimo's best friend as well as a surprisingly renowned physicist, Yuuko is a genius and a nutcase. Occasionally, she interrupts her class to start lecturing about her work, which none of the class has the slightest chance of understanding.
- Badass Driver: She's actually a pretty damn good driver, and actually managed to keep up with Takahashi... for a short while.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: She has a... unique idea of proper attire for a school teacher and is constantly messing with both students and her best friend, Marimo.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: She likes forcing Marimo into various costumes, such as Morrigannote , a reindeer, and in the ongoing manga adaptation of Alternative, Mami.
- Ditzy Genius
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Has more than a streak of this in Extra, if the cavalier notions of nearly running over Sumika in the beginning are any indication.
- Shipper on Deck: In Extra, she's quite fond of teasing Marimo about liking younger guys, especially Shirogane.
- In fact, she delights just as much in stirring up trouble with the rest of Takeru's circle of female friends for similar reasons.
- Stripperiffic: As a teacher, she wears a top that leaves her entire midriff exposed and is basically a fishnet covering for her breasts. She gets away with this because everyone is a little scared of her.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has purple hair.
Voiced by: Takehito KoyasuTakahashi is Meiya's personal driver.
- Badass Driver: Somehow, he can drive around a sixty-meter long limo in a crowded neighborhood.
- Captain Ersatz: He's a living tribute to Initial D and its protagonist (in looks), though in personality he's a lot closer to Ryousuke Takahashi, is developing the Theory of Maximum Street Velocity, and shares voice actors.
- Leitmotif: Theory for a Speedy Welcome and Farewell. Which is essentially a remix of "Night of Fire", an Eurobeat song that is strongly associated with the Akagi RedSuns that Takahashi led in Initial D.
- Loophole Abuse: Uses one to get Takeru to Meiya's wedding so he can break it up.
Tsukuyomi is Meiya's personal attendant and highly qualified at a number of tasks. She's quite devoted to Meiya and seems to act like a big sister. Normally, she acts quite refined and friendly, but when irritated she'll begin to speak quite crassly, hinting that she might really be fairly violent.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Tsukuyomi is a gentle, refined, friendly and kind woman. When she is pissed off, her wrath is a fearful thing to behold.
- Keigo: Speaks with very polite, refined Japanese... which is why everyone is stunned when she flips out at the Three Idiots."Don't make shit up! I never head a word of this bullshit!"(Stunned silence from Takeru and Meiya)"...cough...Cease your lying at once."
- Meido: How she initially presents herself.
- Ninja Maid: Played absolutely straight in Extra, to the point of being able to appear and disappear ninja-style.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Aquamarine hair.
Minagi Ebisu, Tatsumi Kamiyo and Yukino Tomoe
Meiya's maids under the supervision of Mana. Known as the "Three Idiots", they tend to make numerous mistakes, blame others for those mistakes and then insult them.
Voiced by: Kaori MizuhashiOriginally a heroine from Rumbling Hearts, Akane is the Class Representative of Class 3-D, a talented swimmer and the best friend of Chizuru, with whom she has a friendly rivalry.
- The Ace: In addition to being a the top student of her class and a talented swimmer, she masters lacrosse in just a couple of weeks, in time for the school festival.
- Friendly Rivalry: With Chizuru.
- Gut Punch: Chizuru's and Ayamine's Extra routes take a turn into heavy drama when she gets accidentally injured in the final lacrosse match.
Voiced by: Takehito KoyasuSagiri is a talented local doctor. He used to board with the Ayamine family until one day he made a mistake at the hospital and Ayamine's mother took the blame for the error, resulting in the loss of her job. He and Ayamine used to have a sort of relationship, but he ended up marrying the hospital director's daughter in order to improve his career. In Ayamine's route, he claims he is willing to give it up in order to be with her.
- The Atoner: Feels very guilty and ashamed of the effect his mistakes had on Ayamine and her family. Part of the reason he goes after Ayamine again is so that he can redeem himself.
- Exposition Fairy: In Extra, one of his primarily roles is to explain Ayamine's entire backstory to Takeru.
- Love Triangle: Between him, Takeru and Ayamine in her route.