The protagonist of Muv-Luv Extra
, and Alternative
, Takeru is generally talented both athletically and physically, but tends to be rather lazy. He also happens to be good looking and a nice guy, so he ends up fairly popular with girls. Not that he ever notices.
Voiced by: Hiroko Taguchi
Sumika is Takeru's childhood friend. She's very obviously in love with him from the start, but since he's dense he has yet to catch on. Sumika and Takeru tend to have a fairly abusive friendship.
Voiced by: Kazumi Okushima
A strange girl who simply moves in one day, Meiya is the heir of the Mitsurugi Group. She is highly talented at essentially anything she does, but appears rather socially clueless. For reasons unknown to Takeru, she has apparently decided she is going to marry him.
Miki is a small, friendly girl in Takeru's class. She gets along well with others, but gets nervous easily and dislikes confrontation. She bears a strong resemblance to a cat, so Takeru usually calls her Tama based both on her family name and a common cat name in Japan.
- Archer Archetype: Played with. She's trying to fit into this personality at least when she's on the archery range but she gets really nervous.
- Animal Motif: Cats. She even wears a cat tail and a bell along with having her hair look like cat ears.
- Heir to the Dojo
- Third-Person Person: Lapses into this during emotional moments.
- Token Mini-Moe
- Performance Anxiety: Actually a very skilled and accurate archer, but completely loses her cool when she realizes her friends are watching her.
Voiced by: Yuuko Nagashima
A strong but weird girl in Takeru's class, Ayamine seems to enjoy messing with others. She tends to be very unemotive and butts heads with Sakaki frequently due to their similar personalities.
Voiced by: Reiko Takagi
(Akane Maniax OVA), Megumi Kubota (all other appearances)
Takeru's only apparent male friend, Mikoto is as much of a fan of the arcade game Valgern-On as Takeru. He looks quite girly and rarely pays much attention to others.
- Ambiguous Gender: He's referred to as a boy in Extra, yet suspiciously used a Modesty Towel during the group's stay in the hot springs. Several lines in Alternative by Mikoto's father seem to support the hypothesis that Mikoto was a girl even in Extra.
- One particular scene has Mikoto replacing a team member in the Women's Lacrosse team and wearing their uniform, prompting Meiya to ask why it looks so good on him.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Mikoto is a rather odd character. He never seems to pay attention to what people are saying.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: If he actually is a guy.
- Even the Guys Want Him: He apparently receives entire lockers' worth of love letters from both male and female students on a regular basis.
Sakaki is the class representative of Takeru's class. She's very fussy and a stickler for rules, though she's also surprisingly competitive. She tends to get into fights with Ayamine due to their similar personalities.
She is best friends with Akane Suzumiya, the class representative of 3-D.
Voiced by: Miki Inoue
"When you get to the point where you can laugh at your mistakes, you'll find new things to replace what you lost."
Takeru and company's homeroom teacher in Extra
, who has difficulty holding onto her boyfriends, something for which she is endlessly teased by her old friend and fellow teacher Yuuko.
- Christmas Cake: Her exact age is difficult to pin down, but she’s teased mercilessly about this by Yuuko.
- Image Song: Calling, which serves double duty as the ED of Muv-Luv Alternative Chronicles sidestories.
- In-Series Nickname: "Mad Dog" in both worlds, though the reason differs: In Extra it's due to her insatiable... "appetite" (especially when drunk).
- Sensei-chan: Takeru has gotten into the habit of calling her Marimo-chan, much to her exasperation.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Yuuko teases her endlessly about Shirogane especially when they're both present, though Shirogane doesn't take it seriously. In Extra, she has a very short miniroute, but it has little to do with romance since they're both very drunk.
- Childhood Friends: With Yuuko. In Chizuru's route, the school principal makes a remark about how the two of them were taught by him in their own high school days, and then came back to give him grief as teachers later on.
Voiced by: Emi Motoi
Marimo's best friend as well as a surprisingly renowned physicist, Yuuko is a genius and a nutcase. Occasionally, she interrupts her class to start lecturing about her work, which none of the class has the slightest chance of understanding.
- Badass Driver: She's actually a pretty damn good driver, and actually managed to keep up with Takahashi... for a short while.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: She has a... unique idea of proper attire for a school teacher and is constantly messing with both students and her best friend, Marimo.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: She likes forcing Marimo into various costumes, such as Morrigannote , a reindeer, and in the ongoing manga adaptation of Alternative, Mami.
- Ditzy Genius
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Has more than a streak of this in Extra, if the cavalier notions of nearly running over Sumika in the beginning are any indication.
- Shipper on Deck: In Extra, she's quite fond of teasing Marimo about liking younger guys, especially Shirogane.
- In fact, she delights just as much in stirring up trouble with the rest of Takeru's circle of female friends for similar reasons.
- Stripperiffic: As a teacher, she wears a top that leaves her entire midriff exposed and is basically a fishnet covering for her breasts. She gets away with this because everyone is a little scared of her.
Takahashi is Meiya's personal driver.
- Badass Driver: Somehow, he can drive around a sixty-meter long limo in a crowded neighborhood.
- Captain Ersatz: He's a living tribute to Initial D and its protagonist (in looks), though in personality he's a lot closer to Ryousuke Takahashi, is developing the Theory of Maximum Street Velocity, and shares voice actors.
- Leitmotif: Theory for a Speedy Welcome and Farewell. Which is essentially a remix of "Night of Fire", an Eurobeat song that is strongly associated with the Akagi RedSuns that Takahashi led in Initial D.
- Loophole Abuse: Uses one to get Takeru to Meiya's wedding so he can break it up.
Tsukuyomi is Meiya's personal attendant and highly qualified at a number of tasks. She's quite devoted to Meiya and seems to act like a big sister. Normally, she acts quite refined and friendly, but when irritated she'll begin to speak quite crassly, hinting that she might really be fairly violent.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Tsukuyomi is a gentle, refined, friendly and kind woman. When she is pissed off, her wrath is a fearful thing to behold.
- Keigo: Speaks with very polite, refined Japanese... which is why everyone is stunned when she flips out at the Three Idiots.
"Don't make shit up! I never head a word of this bullshit!"
(Stunned silence from Takeru and Meiya)
"...cough...Cease your lying at once."
- Meido: How she initially presents herself.
- Ninja Maid: Played absolutely straight in Extra, to the point of being able to appear and disappear ninja-style.
- Shotacon: She seemed quite taken with Mikoto in Extra...
Minagi Ebisu, Tatsumi Kamiyo and Yukino Tomoe
Meiya's maids under the supervision of Mana. Known as the "Three Idiots", they tend to make numerous mistakes, blame others for those mistakes and then insult them.
- Insane Troll Logic: Actively employ this on numerous occasions in Extra in various attempts to either insult Takeru or get out of doing work for him. Unfortunately for them, Tsukuyomi doesn't buy it.
- Meido: Their job. They're not quite as good at it as Mana is.
- Those Three Idiots
Originally a heroine from Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
, Akane is the Class Representative
of Class 3-D, a talented swimmer and the best friend of Chizuru, with whom she has a friendly rivalry.
- The Ace: In addition to being a the top student of her class and a talented swimmer, she masters lacrosse in just a couple of weeks, in time for the school festival.
- Friendly Rivalry: With Chizuru.
- Gut Punch: Chizuru's and Ayamine's Extra routes take a turn into heavy drama when she gets accidentally injured in the final lacrosse match.
Sagiri is a talented local doctor. He used to board with the Ayamine family until one day he made a mistake at the hospital and Ayamine's mother took the blame for the error, resulting in the loss of her job. He and Ayamine used to have a sort of relationship, but he ended up marrying the hospital director's doctor in order to improve his career. In Ayamine's route, he claims he is willing to give it up in order to be with her.
- Love Triangle: In Extra, he exists only to be a rival to Takeru.
- The Scrappy: He is not a popular character in the fandom, to say the least.