The characters page for Misao.As always, beware of SPOILERS.
open/close all folders
The Player Character of the game.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Has a crush on Tohma, despite his reputation. She gets over it.
- Batter Up: Her instrument of choice. Useful against flowers...boulders... people whom the ghost girl holds grudges against...
- Determinator: Will stop at nothing, including unprovoked murder, in order to save Misao.
- Dissonant Serenity: She retains the same plain smile while murdering people against whom Misao wanted revenge.
- Averted as of version 3, due to her having more facial expressions.
- Hello, Insert Name Here: The player can change her name.
- Genki Girl
- Girlish Pigtails: Big, poofy ones.
- Not Quite Human: Implied by Word of God.
- Player Character
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Akito's blue.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Played with. Aki's eyes are gold... but it's the revelation that they're colored contacts and her eyes are really red that hints that she's part demon.
The male counterpart of Aki. He is much calmer and more nice and mature than his female counterpart.
- Batter Up: His instrument of choice. Useful against flowers...boulders... people whom the ghost girl holds grudges against...
- But Thou Must: When he has the chance to kill Tohma and Sohta, he refuses to do it, as it goes against his principles. In the first case, it is the Library Girl who kills Tohma, and in the other case, it’s a voice in his head (implied to be Aki) who forces him to kill Sohta.
- Determinator: Like his female counterpart. He refuses to kill Tohma or Sohta, even knowing it is for the sake of Misao, however.
- Hello, Insert Name Here: His default name is Aki, much like his female counterpart. He is called Akito here because Word of God considered calling him Akito when adding him in Version 2.
- New Game+: Initially unlockable in a second playthrough in Version 2. Version 3 averts this, even allowing you to play the “Truth” ending with him. You still have to go through the main story as him first, though.
- Nice Guy: Even nicer than Aki, as he seems upset even when Yoshino is killed. Fridge Logic kicks in when you realize that of the two, only Aki would know how Yoshino acts without any guys around.
- Player Character
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Aki's red.
- Ship Tease: With Misao. The "Truth" ending confirms it, though Akito says they should become better friends before ever having a chance as lovers.
- Straight Man
Aki and Misao's classmate. He is very popular with girls and he is dating Saotome.
- Chick Magnet: Saotome, Misao, Yoshino, and even Aki all have some form of crush on him, though Aki's is toned down and goes away when she gets a good look at his personality.
- Dark-Skinned Blond
- Dirty Coward: Abandons Saotome when a zombie's about to attack her, which leads to her death.
- Handsome Lech
- It's All About Me
- Jerkass: Mostly just a rude, cowardly asshole for most of the game, but...
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: In the Good Ending, he shows genuine remorse for his misdeeds towards Misao.
- Karma Houdini: In the Good Ending. Subverted, since he is punished in the continuation of the game, the "Truth" ending, after Misao drags him to the other world and he gets trapped there, presumably forever.
- Laser-Guided Karma: All and all, he gets off relatively lightly. His major sin was being a coward and being unfaithful. In the end, he never really intended to hurt anyone. And once we find out what some of the others did to Misao, it's easier to understand why he is merely trapped in the other world instead of being killed.
- Never My Fault: When he learns Saotome died after he abandoned her, he tries to blame Misao for it.
- Promotion to Parent: A very odd version of the trope appears in the credits. With his friends reincarnated as babies and him imprisoned in the other world, he is basically forced to help raise the kids.
- Your Cheating Heart: At the same time as he was supposedly dating Misao, he was also going for Saotome. Ultimately, neither girl is pleased about this.
Ayaka is Aki's friend. She is a fangirl of Mr. Sohta and she spends most of her time talking about him and annoying Aki.
- Back from the Dead: Unlike the other students who were killed, she is revived in the "Truth" Ending by Onigawara, due to the fact that she was the only victim who Misao wasn't out for revenge against.
- Covert Pervert
- Innocent Bystander: Is the only character whom Misao did not have any plans for at all; Misao wants Aki to help her get her revenge against just about everyone else. Ayaka just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and she gets offed by Sohta after learning what he did to Misao.
- She Knows Too Much: The reason that Mr. Sohta killed her. She discovered pieces of Misao's body in his desk, and quickly realized what it meant.
- Ret Gone: Unlike the others, this is her fate in only the Good Ending. In the "Truth" ending, she is revived by Onigawara, due to her being the only one out of those who were killed that wasn't a target of Misao's revenge.
- Skewed Priorities: When weird things suddenly start happening around the school, her immediate response isn't to look for somewhere safe, but to rifle through the desk of the teacher she has a crush on.
- Stalker with a Crush: Towards Sohta; she's going through his personal belongings to find out his secrets. According to Word of God, stalking people she likes has always been a habit of hers, and after Onigawara revives her in the "Truth" ending, she becomes quite smitten with him. Her stalking will continue.
Aki and Misao's classmate. She was also the then-girlfriend of Tohma.
- And Your Reward Is Infancy: She, along with Yoshino and Kudoh, is reincarnated into a baby after Aki is able to free her soul from Misao's curse.
- Beta Couple: With Tohma.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She defends Misao to the other girls when they make fun of her... but she was possibly the one who posted Misao's love poem on the school wall for all to see.
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Cloudcuckoolander: According to Word of God.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: She acts rather sweet to others. Potentially Subverted; she's hinted to be the sort of person who would cause a classmate embarrassment leading to severe bullying out of jealousy. However, it's never made clear if she truly posted the text on the wall or not.
- In-Series Nickname: She is called Otome.
- Love Makes You Evil: Possibly. Although not at the same level as Yoshino.
- Promoted to Love Interest: Downplayed. In the male version of the game, she's the one the player character apparently has a crush on.
- Ret Gone: After dying, she, alongside the others who died in the other world, gets erased from existence and nobody in the real world remembers them.
- Tomboyish Ponytail
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Sure, it's learned that she played a small part in Misao's tragic fate, but she still logs all of the introductory scene and her death before the ending.
Aki's classmate and also Misao's childhood friend. The two grew apart as they became older.
- And Your Reward Is Infancy: He, along with Yoshino and Saotome, is reincarnated into a baby after Aki is able to free his soul from Misao's curse.
- Big Brother Instinct: According to Word of God, his love for Misao fits more this trope.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Apparently has a one-sided crush on Misao.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Kick the Dog: His sheer meanness and callousness in ceasing his friendship with Misao is what earned her posthumous wrath.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: In his self-inflicted hell in the "Truth" ending, one of the many taunts the false Misaos throw at him is "Die a virgin!"
- It's All My Fault: Blames himself for abandoning Misao when she started getting bullied.
- Ret Gone: After dying, he, alongside the others who died in the other world, gets erased from existence and nobody in the real world remembers them.
- Say My Name: Before getting run over by a car that results in his death.
- Famous Last Words: "MISAOOOOOOO!"
- Unlucky Childhood Friend
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Like Saotome and Yoshino, his only appearances in the game proper (outside of the Truth) are in his introduction and death. Unlike them, he does absolutely nothing in the flashbacks in the normal endings.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
Yoshino is the leader of the bullies in Aki's and Misao's school.
- Alpha Bitch: With a Girl Posse of her own, and if things do not go her way, she will cause great pain.
- And Your Reward Is Infancy: She, along with Kudoh and Saotome, is reincarnated into a baby after Aki is able to free her soul from Misao's curse.
- Asshole Victim: Yoshino's bullying is so bad that Aki is not the least bit upset about being unable to save her from a horrible death-by-chainsaw. This is in contrast to Akito, who is genuinely distressed about it.
- The Bully
- Dirty Coward: According to Word of God.
- Jerkass: Even worse than Tohma in this regard.
- Love Makes You Evil
- Redheaded Bully
- Ret Gone: After dying, she, alongside the others who died in the other world, gets erased from existence and nobody in the real world remembers them.
- Small Role, Big Impact: She only has her introductory and death scenes in the non-truth segments of the game, but boy did her bullying (an Informed Trait until the endgame flashbacks) leave its mark on Misao's fate.
- Stuffed into a Locker: Once she stuffed Misao into a box, as seen in a flashback.
Homeroom teacher of Aki's class. He is known by his students to be a kind and caring teacher.
- Affably Evil: In his self-inflicted hell during the Truth ending.
- All of the Other Reindeer: When he was young, he was ostracized by his classmates for his plain appearance.
- All There in the Manual: Or rather, yearbook. His full name is revealed in the "Truth" ending.
- Alas, Poor Villain: In the "Truth" Ending.
- Big Bad: He is responsible for Misao’s death. Technically, the entire plot of the series is his fault.
- Berserk Button: If his good looks are pointed out or if he is romantically rejected.
- Berserker Tears: Sheds these in his youth when Takano rejects him.
- Broken Ace: He's a kind, handsome teacher who is adored by his students, who also happens to be a murderer with an inability to tolerate rejection and a complex about his appearance.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Had a crush on his classmate Takano, because she was the only person who was kind to him then. It didn't quite pan out, as she revealed that she only talked to him out of pity.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He went out of his way to be kind to people despite everyone hating him, tried to save a dying cat, and yet could never be happy. What broke him was when Takano, the one person who was ever kind to him, rejected him when he declared his love for her and she confessed she only hanged out with him out of pity.
- Despair Event Horizon: After being rejected by Takano.
- Dissonant Serenity: He is extremely calm and collected when killing someone. Unless his berserk buttons are pushed.
- Dying as Yourself: After his Heel Realization moment, he age-regresses back into his younger appearance and disappears. Yes, Sohta was still a scared, damaged teenager underneath his mask.
- Expy: A seemingly normal guy who is actually a serial killer who has a hand fetish due to an incident in his younger days, kills everyone who finds out who he is (included a Satellite Character who found his secret by accident), the ghost of one of his victims manipulates events so he could be punished for his acts, is Hoist by His Own Petard when he dies, and in the end, his spirit cannot enter Heaven or Hell? Sounds like Yoshikage Kira to me!
- Face of a Thug: When he was younger, he was very odd-looking, and by no means a bad kid.
- Fetish: Has a fetish on hands. When Ayaka finds Misao's severed hands in Sohta's desk, he comes along and Ayaka learns that Sohta apparently does things with the hands.
- When he was young, the first thing he liked about his First Love, Takano, were her hands.
- Freudian Excuse: Bullied by his classmates for being plain and ordinary? Check. Turned down by his First Love and Only Friend, who actually just pitied him? Check. Goes through a face surgery so he would be loved and accepted, only to realize that people only love him for his looks? Check and check.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: Anything he did as a teenager. He tried to give a classmate her handkerchief, but she didn't want it after he touched it. He tried to save a dying cat, but the vet couldn't save her. He tried to engage his Only Friend in a romantic relationship, but she rejected him because she pitied him and didn't feel the same way towards him.
- He Knows Too Much: He kills Ayaka after she found Misao’s severed hands in his desk. In the Bad End, he kills Aki after she finds out Misao’s true murderer.
- Heel Realization: After Aki enters into his self-inflicted hell in the "Truth" ending, she convinces him that his students loved him for who he was and not for his good looks. Complete with a Cooldown Hug and Sohta shedding Tears of Remorse. Alas, Poor Villain, indeed.
- Karma Houdini: In the Bad End. He not only kills Aki and gets away with it, but he never gets caught for murdering Misao and it is heavily implied that he will continue with his rampages if another girl accidentally pushes his Berserk Button again...
- Karmic Death: In the Good Ending, combined with Ret Gone.
- I Am Not Pretty: It turns out that Sohta was unattractive in his youth. When he overheard Ayaka and her friends talking about Sohta as her homeroom teacher, they complimented him on his "beauty". He then stormed off to the bathroom and started punching the mirror.
- I Just Want to Be Loved
- If I Can't Have You: He nearly chokes Takano after she rejected him in high-school. And he brutally kills Misao in cold blood after she rejects his advances.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover
- Knife Nut
- Loners Are Freaks: When he was young.
- Magic Plastic Surgery: When he was a teenager, he was chubbier and plain. It is thanks to surgeries that he gets the appearance he has now. He is not very happy about it, though...
- Nice Guy: Subverted.
- Not Good with Rejection: Somewhat justified, knowing his back-story. He's tried making friends ever since he was a young man. However, people were repulsed by his apparent unattractive features, mostly girls. Finally, when he thought he made a genuine friend, it turns out that she didn't care about him and befriended him out of pity. He snaps and demands to know why he can't make any friends. Later, when he attempted to "comfort" Misao after she was raped, he killed her after she freaked out.
- Ret Gone: His fate in the Good Ending, as he, alongside the others who died in the other world, gets erased from existence and nobody in the real world remembers them.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid
- Stepford Smiler: Type A when he was young. Type C as an adult.
- Walking Spoiler: It’s difficult to talk about Sohta without spoiling the whole story.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds
- Yandere: If his affections aren't returned.
The tragic heroine of the game. She is noted throughout the game as being friendless and lonely. Misao went missing three months before the game begins.
- All of the Other Reindeer
- Break the Cutie: Before she got murdered, the universe seemed out to get her despite her being a very kind person.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Befriends Aki after the True Ending.
- Generic Cuteness: Word of God was surprised by how many players thought Misao was cute. It's possible that the "Truth" scenario (which was added in version 2) gave her a gloomy personality to justify her social status amongst her peers.
- Hime Cut
- Loners Are Freaks
- Nice Girl: Aki views her this way and was sad when she disappeared, since she'd always wanted to try to befriend her. Word of God is that before dying and becoming a vengeful spirit, she's probably the nicest character in the whole game.
- Plot-Triggering Death
- Rape as Backstory
- Walking Spoiler: Like Sohta, it is hard to talk about her without spoiling half of the plot.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: After suffering trauma after trauma at the hands of bullies and then getting murdered by Mr. Sohta, Misao curses the whole school and starts picking off everyone who ever wronged her one by one.
- Yandere: For Tohma. She'd intended for Aki to kill Tohma, not Mr. Sohta, because even though Mr. Sohta ultimately wronged her far more, she's afraid of him. She would much rather be with Tohma forever.
Onigawara is the student council president at Aki and Misao's school. He guides Aki/Akito through the game. He seems to be Ogre from Mad Father.
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council: Though the end points out that he took the place of the real president in order to help Aki with her quest.
- Bald of Awesome
- Canon Immigrant: Can also be seen in Mad Father, operating under the alias of Ogre.
- Dark Is Not Evil: He is apparently a demon, but he is actually pretty nice.
- Meaningful Name: His name means "Protecting Demon".
- Nice Guy: Despite what his otherworldly origins might lead you to believe, Onigawara is a very nice man, providing moral support and offering forgiveness to unfortunate victims.
- Not Quite Human: Wherever he's from, it certainly isn't this realm.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: One of the clues that he's not a normal guy.
- Reused Character Design: Those who played Mad Father before this game remember him as Ogre, a.k.a. the one responsible for the curse on the Drevis household. Here, he is pretty much doing the same thing for Misao.
- Spirit Advisor
The vice-president of the Student Council and most likely the assistant of Onigawara. She is also a guiding force in the game, much like Onigawara, and a supporting character. Like Aki, players can name her, though the English version adds Novella as her default name.
- Beware the Nice Ones: If Aki refuses to befriend her, she kills her offscreen. Also, when Akito has the chance to kill Tohma but refuses to do it, the Library Girl does it in his place, simply because Tohma was annoying her.
- Blue Eyes: Only actually seen in one blink-and-you-miss-it moment when her startled portrait appears after Tohma's snoring scares her.
- Continuity Nod: In version 3.0, if you name her Maria, she tells you that she doesn't like the name, but will use it anyway. This implies that she is an older Aya, or possibly even the clone seen during the true end of Mad Father.
- Not Quite Human: As she appears to be working with Onigawara rather than the school, this is a fair assumption.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Punny Name: Her English default name, Novella.
TakanoTakano was the first and last friend of Sohta, during high school. She took pity on him after seeing him getting bullied and befriended him.
- Because You Were Nice to Me
- Declaration of Protection: She offered this to Sohta, which he politely declined.
- Hair of Gold
- First Love
- Only Friend
- Satellite Character: Her entire point is to give backstory to Sohta.
- Walking Spoiler
- Was It All a Lie?: After turning down Sohta, she declares that she only took pity on him all the time... Which causes his Face-Heel Turn.
- What Beautiful Hands: As noted by Sohta. Though, given the fact that he has a hand fetish...
- What Happened to the Mouse?: It is unknown what happens to her afterwards. Given his tendencies towards every girl who rejects him, she is probably dead.