Characters: Life With Derek
This is the character sheet for Life With Derek.
The Venturi-Mcdonald family:
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The Venturis and The Mcdonalds.
- Happily Married: Nora and George.
- Not Blood Siblings: The Venturis and The Mcdonalds.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: With the Venturis representing the red, as they are more brash, impulsive and extroverted and The Mcdonalds the blue, as they are intellectual, traditional and more reserved. When comparing in the families, Casey would be the red oni to Lizzie's blue and Derek the red oni to Edwin's blue.
- Platonic Life Partners: Edwin and Lizzie.
- The Prankster: The Venturis.
- Sibling Team: Usually The Venturis vs. The Mcdonalds, even though there are occasions when it's Derek-Casey and Edwin-Lizzie. Marti has been on both sides.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Casey and Derek, despite that they're not real siblings.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Derek and Casey are Type 2.
open/close all folders
Played by Ashley Leggat
"DER-EK!"Casey is the protagonist and is the polar opposite of Derek in just about every way. This often leads to conflict between the two. Prior to her mom remarrying, Casey only had one younger sister and, much like Derek, was used to being in charge. She is studious and high maintenance, but throughout the course of the show becomes a little more easy going. Casey often confides in her guidance counselor, Paul, about her problems - or just to vent about Derek.
- Bad Liar
- Be Careful What You Wish For
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Derek... and Truman.
- Brainy Brunette
- Butt Monkey: Usually for Derek, although she knows how to get revenge.
- Catchphrase: "DER-EK!" Lampshaded in one episode, when Derek responds by saying Casey's name the same way, as well as Sally's.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Derek's Cain.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: She has an acute sense of morality, especially when it involves Derek and him hurting other people, particularly girls.
- The Conscience
- Control Freak
- Cute Clumsy Girl
- Determinator: Both her and Derek are this, but she takes the cake sometimes.
- Drama Queen: Quite a lot.
- Extracurricular Enthusiast
- Five Temperament Temperament: Melancholic
- Flirty Stepsiblings: With Derek. Unintentional on the writers' part, intentional on the actors', particularly Ashley Leggat, who multiple times stated that she wanted her character to end up with Derek.
- Greek Chorus: At the beginning of each episode, she usually makes a comment to the viewers about what the general theme or message of what the episode will be about.
- Hate at First Sight: With Derek. Their first lines exchanged leaves her concluding he's the most 'arrogant, insensitive, rude person' she has ever met.
- Hollywood Nerd: Type II, obviously.
- I Didn't Mean To Turn You On
- Insufferable Genius: Casey means well, but sometimes, she can act too overconfident when it comes to her intelligence.
- The Klutz
- Like Mother Like Daughter: She is a more uptight, less funny version of her mother.
- Morality Pet: For Derek.
- Ms. Fanservice: Her 'Babe Raider' outfit and the scene where she's working out.
- Neat Freak
- The Not-Love Interest: Derek's. Despite him having his own official girlfriends, Casey always seems to be much more important than them.
- The Perfectionist
- Plucky Girl
- She's All Grown Up
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Played straight with the boyfriends she's had, as both Sam and Max are jocks, but they're really nice guys. She even states how she wants her perfect guy to be gallant and nice and is flat out disgusted by guys like Derek and Truman, hating the fact that she falls for Truman, against her will.
- The Smart Girl
- Snowball Lie: Accidentally starts one in the episode Rumor Mill.
- Straw Feminist: Casey seems to think the word "Secretary" is sexist, and insists that her stepfather use the more politically-correct "Administrative Assistant."
- Strawman Has a Point: Casey had a lot of good points in "Babe Raider".
- Team Mom
- Technician vs. Performer: The technician to Derek's performer. While Casey is crazy studious and has a high level of books smarts, she doesn't seem to do as well when it comes to pragmatism, compared to Derek, who has a high level of street smarts.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Lizzie's Tomboy.
- Tsundere: Type B.
- Visit by Divorced Dad: In season 2.
- Women Are Wiser: The smartest character in the show and, along with her mother and sister, wiser than the male counterparts in the house. Although Derek seems to be more pragmatic than her, when it comes to life issues.
Played by Michael Seater
"If you have a complaint, you can put it in my suggestion box."Derek is Casey's step-brother and her primary antagonist on the show. He's popular and good looking and not very book smart, although it is hinted at a couple of times that he's just lazy and that if he put more effort into school work, he'd probably do a lot better. He is used to being the one in charge at home, but the arrival of Casey and her family disrupts that, and he's not particularly fond of changing his life style around. He's sneaky and manipulative and not above lying to Casey to get what he wants. That said, even though he and Casey are often at each other's throats for one reason or another, he does have a soft side, but it's usually reserved for his younger sister Marti.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: One of the reasons he's the most popular guy in high school, even though Derek is not just the typical bad boy with a badass facade, but an actual Magnificent Bastard.
- All Men Are Perverts: Casey calls him out on this, when she accuses him that he only wants to date a new girl in school, because she has a big chest. She's right.
- Aloof Big Brother: At times.
- Anti-Hero: Sometimes, when he is nice to Casey. Usually, he's just plain Villain Protagonist, especially since the show is presented from Casey's perspective, who falls under his torment most of the time.
- Anti-Role Model
- The Bad Guy Wins: Most of the time.
- Being Good Sucks: In season 2, he hates the fact that he wants to do something right for Casey, when he wants to tell her that her date cheats on her, until he figures out how to do 'right and wrong' at the same time, by busting on Casey's date.
- Big Bad: Casey's main rival and even enemy in most episodes.
- Big Brother Bully: Primarily towards Edwin.
- Big Brother Instinct: Primarily towards Marti.
- Big Eater
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Casey.
- Beauty, Brains and Brawn: Derek, Sam and Ralph, with Derek getting the looks and being the most popular guy in school, Sam being the most intelligent and sensitive out of the three and Ralph the most bulky and ditzy.
- Blond Brunette Redhead: Sam, Ralph and him, all three being jocks and best friends, with Derek also getting the Jerk Jock part.
- Book Dumb: Although, he could just be...
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to both Casey and Edwin's Abel.
- The Casanova
- Class Clown
- Comedic Sociopath: He presents many signs of this, as he usually has no regards for the rights and feelings of other people. The only thing that saves him from completely being this is the fact that he cares for his family and later for Casey.
- Derek (to Casey): That's because you have a conscience...(smirks) I don't.
- Consummate Liar: In most episodes, he's such a good liar, that he gets his way eventually.
- Determinator: Not as bad as Casey, but he's got it strong too.
- Evil Red Head: Has reddish-brown hair and is the biggest asshole in the entire series. Yes, probably even more asshole than Truman, whom we only see cheating on Casey, compared to Derek who was mentioned to do that to plenty of other girls.
- Five Temperament Ensemble: Choleric
- Flanderization: In the beginning, Derek verbally makes fun of Casey and mocks her whenever he gets a chance. In season 3, it's releaved that he has pranked her and set her traps so many times, that she has even made a list of top ten worst things that he has done to her. It goes to the point where he fails at school and has to be sent to a private school by his parents, because he's too busy pranking her.
- Flirty Stepsiblings: With Casey. Unintentional on the writers' part, very intentional on the actors'.
- Handsome Devil
- Handsome Lech
- Hate at First Sight: With Casey. Their first lines exchanged leaves her concluding he's the most 'arrogant, insensitive, rude person' she has ever met.
- Hates Being Touched: Derek isn't exactly the "hugging" type.
- Hidden Heart of Gold
- High School Hustler: G rated version. He ran a used clothing, office supplies and CD ring, complete with bagmen.
- Hot Guys Are Bastards: More attractive than the other boys in school and probably the biggest jerkass of them all.
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: No one BUT him is allowed to make fun of Casey.
- Jerk Jock
- Kissing Cousins: Kisses Vicky, who is technically his step-cousin.
- Lack of Empathy: Although he gets persuaded in doing the right thing in the end (usually by his parents or Casey), usually he doesn't seem to care when other people express grief or just avoids them entirely. One notable case was when Nora and George were depressed because they couldn't be together - Nora openly crying- and all he cared about was his cake.
- Lazy Bum
- Like Father, Like Son: Is a more exaggerated version of George, as he is a Brilliant but Lazy prankster, but he's also more of a Jerkass. Of course, we never get to see a much more mature version of Derek, but he might be the same as his father, if he ages some years.
- Manipulative Bastard
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: What he tells Sam when Sam shows an interest in Casey, but it was more about Sam being his friend than actual concern for Casey.
- Narcissist: Very much so.
- The Not-Love Interest: Casey's. Derek is the guy she's most of the time preoccupied with and he seems more important to her than her canon boyfriends.
- The Obi-Wannabe: To Edwin.
- Pet the Dog: Many of his scenes with Marti consist of this.
- School Is For Losers
- Secondary Character Title: Casey and him are both protagonists, but the story is presented from Casey's perspective in most episodes, making her the primary main character.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Manly Man to Edwin's Sensitive Guy.
- Smug Smiler: Derek is famously known for his smug smirk/grin that he gives Casey most of the time. He also uses his trademark smirk to get girls.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Technician vs. Performer: The performer to Casey's technician. Casey is book-smart and studies a lot, while Derek is more on the pragmatic side, being street-smart.
- The Slacker
- Took a Level in Jerkass: He is known to be a jerk, but some episodes exaggerate this trait so much, to the point where he doesn't care at all if people get hurt, both mentally and physically.
- Troubled, but Cute: Fits the trope to a T.
- Villain Protagonist: Casey's main rival/enemy. Especially since the show is presented from her point of view. Still, at times he can be an Anti-Hero, when he does nice things for her.
Played by Daniel MagderEdwin is Derek's younger brother, and the middle child along with Lizzie. He tends to feel like he's the Un Favorite and although he looks up to Derek, he has been shown to have a bit of an inferiority complex.
- Amateur Sleuth: Attempted, but then his imagination got the better of him.
- Annoying Younger Sibling
- Big Brother Worship
- Butt Monkey
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Derek's Cain.
- The Chew Toy
- Double Agent
- Five Temperament Ensemble: Phlegmatic
- Lovable Coward
- Middle Child Syndrome: And HOW.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Sensitive Guy to Derek's Manly Man.
Played by Jordan Todosey
"But that still gives you 2 out of 20. And any score less than 6, I'm supposed to call a social worker."Lizzie is Casey's younger sister and, like Edwin, is the middle child. She is probably the most level headed of her siblings, but even she has her moments. She and Edwin often partner up when scheming for or against their older siblings. Being the middle child doesn't seem to bother her as much as it does Edwin.
- Brainy Brunette
- First Kiss: In The Movie.
- Five Temperament Ensemble: Leukine
- Precocious Crush: On her soccer coach in season 2.
- Soap Box Sadie
- She Cleans Up Nicely
- The Stoic: Seems to be this a lot.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Casey's Girly Girl.
- Visit by Divorced Dad
- Women Are Wiser: Along with Casey and Nora, they are wiser than their male counterparts in the house.
Played by Ariel Waller
"I have an announcement! I'm not wearing socks!"Marti is the youngest child in the Venturi-McDonald household until The Movie. She seems to get along with all of her siblings, but is closest to Derek and is one of the few people that Derek opens up to. She can be annoying at times, but gradually grows out of that as the series progresses.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Can be, but grows out of this.
- Companion Cube: Sir Monksalot.
- Daddy's Girl
- Five Temperament Ensemble: Sanguine
- Imaginary Friend: Has one named Daphne.
- Kids Are Cruel
- Morality Pet: To Derek.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes
- Spoiled Brat
Played by Joy TannerNora is Casey and Lizzie's mom. She is married to George Venturi, who is her second husband, and throughout the series is often the Only Sane Man. She finds out that she's pregnant in the final season, and it is revealed in The Movie that she and her mother don't exactly get along.
- Amicably Divorced: She and Dennis get along fine.
- Five Temperament Ensemble: Melancholic
- Lethal Chef
- Like Mother Like Daughter: Casey is a more uptight, humorless version of her.
- Only Sane Man
Played by John RalstonGeorge is the father of Derek, Edwin and Marti. He is a lawyer, a bad driver, and it is implied that when he was younger, he was very much like Derek.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Dad: Sometimes.
- Amicably Divorced: He and Abby still get along.
- Berserk Button: When his children - notably, Derek- break the rules or don't respect their punishment.
- Brilliant but Lazy:
- Bumbling Dad: Occasionally
- Drives Like Crazy: Apparently...
- Five Temperament Ensemble: Sanguine
- Hello, Attorney!
- Like Father, Like Son
Played by Sarah Gadon (Season 1) and Paula Brancati (Season 4)Vicky is Casey's cousin. She's first introduced in season 1 and is one of the few characters, apart from Derek, who get under Casey's skin. When it is revealed that the reason she is so mean to Casey is because she's jealous of her, she and Casey reconcile. She later returns in season 4, played by a different actress, and gets caught kissing Casey's boyfriend at a party.
- Alpha Bitch
- Green-Eyed Monster
- Heel-Face Turn
- Kissing Cousins: Kisses Derek.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: When she was played by Sarah Gadon, Vicky and Casey almost looked like they could be twins.
Played by Barbara GordonAunt Madge is George's aunt. She is a notorious cheek pincher who, it's implied, doesn't see George and his family often. She only appears in one episode.
Played by Kate TrotterFelicia is Nora's mom. She is introduced in The Movie, at which point she hasn't seen Nora or Lizzie and Casey in four years. She openly disapproves of Nora getting remarried and raising five kids, and is not happy when she finds out that Nora is pregnant. At first, she wants nothing to do with the Venturi kids, and is reluctant to agree to let them stay at her lodge. After a fight with Casey, she has a change of heart.
Played by Shadia SimmonsEmily is Casey's best friend. She lives next door to the Venturis and has had a crush on Derek for a long time, even going so far as to keep tabs on him. She eventually gets over her crush on him and gets together with Sheldon Schlepper until he moves away. She finally gets her chance with Derek at the end of the fourth and final season.
- Black Best Friend
- Dark Horse Victory
- Wacky Marriage Proposal: Sheldon proposes to her at a dance. In front of everyone. Much to Emily's embarrassment.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: She and Derek get together at the end of the last season.
Played by Shane KippelRalph is one of Derek's friends and bandmates.
- Blonde Brunette Red Head: Male versions found in Sam, him and Derek.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Dogged Nice Guy
- Lovable Jock
- Surfer Dude
- Those Two Guys: With Sam.
Played by Kit WeymanSam is Derek's best friend. He is also Casey's first love interest on the show. He's a generally nice guy and he and Casey manage to stay on friendly terms even after they break up.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Him, Ralph and Derek.
- Dogged Nice Guy
- Lovable Jock
- Those Two Guys: With Ralph.
Played by Joe DinicolTruman is much like Derek, minus any redeeming qualities. He makes his debut in season 4 and shows an interest in Casey. After much resisting, she agrees to go out with him. He then makes out with her cousin Vicky at a party, and they break up. But she takes him back at prom because he's secretly a wounded soul afraid of committment.
Played by Robbie AmellMax is a popular football jock at school who Casey takes an interest in. He's a fairly decent guy, although he and Casey don't have a lot in common. They eventually break up when Casey feels like she's changed for the worst.
Played by Lauren CollinsKendra is one of the popular girls at school and, like most girls, shows an interest in Derek.
- Gossipy Hens: Kendra loves to gossip.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: She's popular, but never particularly mean to Casey.
- Popularity Food Chain: At the very top.
- Snowball Lie: She misinterprets something that Casey says and spreads it.
Played by Kate ToddSally is Derek's co-worker and is, arguably, the first girl he's really tried to work hard at at winning over. She's a bit older than him and convinces him to take her to prom, having missed her own. They eventually break up when she leaves for college.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Well, she is with Derek...
- Gasshole: Capable of outbelching all three Venturi guys.
- Put on a Bus: She goes off to school.
Played by Adam ButcherNoel is introduced in season 3 as Casey's leading man in a school play. It's revealed that he likes her, but since she's with Max at the time, he keeps his feelings to himself.
Played by William GreenblattSheldon is first introduced when he's running for class president against Casey. The writers liked him so much that they brought him back as a reoccurring character. He gets together with Emily, much to Casey's surprise. When he's forced to move, he proposes to Emily at prom, but she turns him down since they're still in high school.
Played by Arnold PinnockPaul is Casey's guidance counselor who she vents to in just about every episode.