open/close all folders
Layton Detective Agency
The 22-year-old daughter of Prof. Hershel Layton, Katrielle opens a detective agency and will leave no mystery or puzzle unsolved.
- Action Girl: She's not afraid of getting her hands dirty for the sake of investigations. She jumped down from a bridge to a boat!
- Ambiguously Jewish: Like her father; "Katrielle" is a name rarely seen outside of Jewish communities.
- Animal Motifs: Sherl often compares her to a cat, citing her insatiable curiosity and nonchalant personality, traits stereotypically associated with cats.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Ernest and Sherl need to constantly remind her to keep at a case, not shop for food or clothes.
- Big Eater: Can pretty much be tempted to go anywhere or do anything, as long as there's food as a reward.
- Brainy Brunette: Much like her father.
- Brutal Honesty: Quite often.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: She's a pretty astute detective, but her flippant everyday demeanor kind of undermines people's confidence in her.
- Catch-Phrase: "Any mystery solved!" as the general motto for her agency and her MO, and "This mystery is history!" for when she's cracked a case.
- The Fashionista: She loves shopping and dressing up, and the DLC features a variety of cute outfits for Kat to try on.
- The Gadfly: Especially with Sherl, Hastings, Emiliana... basically anyone who can act as a good comedic foil.
- Giving Someone the Pointer Finger: Graciously gotten the gesture from her father.
- Great Detective: Unlike her father, she actually works as one.
- Gut Feeling: While she still needs evidence to base her conclusions on, following her instincts is her number one method to finding the truth.
- Iconic Item: Her mini silk hat headband, which is her equivalent of Hershel's top hat. It's even part of the wax seal on her logo, just like the Professor's.
- Innocently Insensitive: Kat's a woman who marches to her own drum, so she'll often make cutting observations without much reserve, especially around Ernest.
- Missing Mom: Not that she's even brought up. As she's Happily Adopted, there may not even be a Mrs. Layton. But that begs the question of who and where her birth parents are.
- Large Ham: Has quite the taste for dramatics, especially when a case is about to be cracked.
- Like Parent, Like Child: Like Hershel, she's a savant at detective work who operates on a gentleman's (er, gentlewoman's) code of conduct.
- Meganekko: Some of her outfits feature her in glasses.
- Nice Hat: A yellow-and-red mini silk hat that looks like it's attached to a headband. Her downloadable outfits feature several others, including her father's trademark hat.
- Oblivious to Love: In regards to Ernest's crush on her, it seems.
- Primary-Color Champion: Katrielle mainly dresses in red and yellow, and her eyes are a clear, wide blue.
- Private Detective: Unlike her father, who was an archaeologist and academic first, Katrielle is this, full stop.
- Real Place Background: Her office◊, which seems to be based on London's Sherlock Holmes Museum.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: In comparison to Alfendi, she's much more amiable and outgoing.
A first-year student at Gressenheller university who also works as Katrielle's devoted assistant.
- Composite Character: He's essentially an amalgam of Luke and Emmy: a boyish, wide-eyed admirer of the protagonist (Luke) who was saved by her after being taken into Scotland Yard under false accusations (Emmy).
- Dogged Nice Guy: Is head over heels in love with Katrielle and would do anything for her, but has trouble actually voicing his affections strongly.
- Have a Gay Old Time: Ernest's general way of speaking is super polite and prim, to the point of sounding both very young yet antiquated for a man his age. He actually even uses words like "gay" and "queer" as they were intended decades ago.
- House Husband: He's not married to Kat, but he essentially looks after the daily upkeep of her office for free, serves her tea, and is marked with more traditionally feminine interests like botany.
- Nice Guy: Ernest doesn't have a mean bone in his body.
- Undying Loyalty: To Katrielle.
Sherl O.C. Kholmes
Katrielle's first client, a talking dog. Cannot remember anything about his past.
- Deadpan Snarker: Often remarks on Katrielle's unconventional methods and Ernest's pining over her in spite of said methods.
- Identity Amnesia: A key part of his introduction. He can't even remember if he was always a dog.
- Not So Above It All: For all his frustration and snark, he admits liking the name "Agent Sherl" when Katrielle challenges him to solve a case.
- Pungeon Master: Barks out a dog-related pun in every other sentence.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: For obvious reasons. Downplayed, as he can only communicate with other dogs.
- Team Pet: And not exactly happy about it.
A rising inspector in Scotland Yard, loved by the people of London for his passion to his duty.
- Book Dumb: Tends to have the hardest time with puzzles among the main cast.
- Friend on the Force: Is Katrielle's main contact at Scotland Yard, and comes to her with cases too out of the ordinary for the police to handle.
- Happily Married: To his wife Felicity.
- Inspector Lestrade: Is often going down the wrong path on the cases in the game. However, this is more due to how bizarre and unusual the cases actually are.
A master criminal profiler working at Scotland Yard. Sees Katrielle as a rival.
- The Ace: Is known around the Yard as "Perfect Perfetti" due to her outstanding success rate as a profiler.
- Gratuitous Italian: Given that she is Italian, she'll often thrown around an "allora" or "va bene."
- Guest-Star Party Member: Works with Kat during investigations on occasion, and even solves a few puzzles while with you.
- The Profiler
- The Rival: To Katrielle.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Has a huge fear of ghosts; which makes case 05 rather difficult for her, since it investigates a haunting.
Chief Inspector Royall Britannias
The Chief Inspector for Scotland Yard, and a longtime friend of Inspector Hastings.
- Dirty Cop: While he may not be a murderer, he still manipulated the scene to look like a murder, framed Katrielle, and fully intended on putting her in jail for a crime she didn't commit, all so Hastings wouldn't outshine him.
- Good Is Not Nice: While he's definitely abrasive, he's still Scotland Yard's Chief Inspector, and lines from Hastings implies he was once nice enough to be a good friend. Subverted, as it turns out he was the one behind the murder in Case 11. Then Double Subverted, or at least downplayed, as he didn't actual commit murder, and merely seized the opportunity to frame Katrielle after an accident.
- Green-Eyed Monster: His jealousy of Hastings' recent success is what motivates him to frame Katrielle for murder.
- Walking Spoiler: The fact that he was behind the incidents in Case 11 is a majority of what we know about him. Admittedly, part of that is guessable as soon as he appears. The fact that he's not the murderer, however, then becomes one.
The Seven DragonsSeven of London's wealthiest and most powerful.
Madame Gretchin Doublee
The business-focused Dragon. She is an enormous woman with wealth to match. Case 04 is dedicated to finding her lost Rexie-wexie.
Phineas T. Barnone
The entertainment-focused Dragon. He owns the Saveloy Theater. Case 03 is dedicated to finding a movie scene at his theater.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Eggs.
Mayor Pipper Lowonida
The politics-focused Dragon. She is the mayor of London, and also loves festivals. Case 02 is dedicated to solving a murder at her favorite festival.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Has long brown hair that curtains over one side of her face.
The media-focused Dragon. He owns the London Times. Case 07 is dedicated to finding local celebrity Ratman to boost sales.
The social-focused Dragon. She's a lonely heiress. Case 05 is dedicated to investigating the supernatural phenomena at her manor.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Her parents had passed away recently, so she often only had her butler for company.
The finance-focused Dragon. He owns Britain's largest bank. Case 06 is dedicated to finding a missing 100,000,000 pounds.
- Face of a Thug: One of the most physically intimidating dragons.
The shipping-focused Dragon. He's launching the Thametanic cruise liner. Case 08 is dedicated to finding the lost gold statue from the lounge.
Other Important Characters
Lord Adamas (Warning! Many spoilers)
A mysterious man whose identity is a mystery to all. Case 12 involves him inviting Professor Layton and the Seven Dragons to Richmond Manor for a puzzle party.
- Affably Evil: Well, Ambiguously Evil, admittedly, but he does intend to ruin the Dragons. However, he does give them a chance to solve the puzzles in the manor to earn their way out.
- Blatant Lies: It's fairly obvious by the signing that the whole party was just a charade to ruin the Dragons. By the end, it turns out even if they had somehow won, the Richmond Fortune doesn't even exist to be won.
- Easily Forgiven: Lampshaded. The Dragons completely forgive him for trying to ruin their lives over things they didn't even do. The fact that everyone around him told him they did might help explain it.
- Misplaced Retribution: By this point, it's fairly clear to the player that the Dragons are ultimately decent people, if sometimes a little misguided. They didn't even do what Adamas accused them of doing in the first place, almost doing the exact opposite.
- The Voice: He doesn't appear physically for his guests, instead speaking to them from elsewhere. [[spoiler: As it turns out, there's a good reason for that.
- Walking Spoiler: More than any other character/villain in the game. He's Maximillian Richmond's grandson, Miles, who's pursuing the Dragons as revenge for cheating his grandfather out of a great fortune in diamonds. If that wasn't enough, he's also Ernest Greeves, the main character's assistant and deuteragonist for the whole game.