If you were to say something about KIKEN, surely you'd go for something along the lines of .hack meets X1999 meets BaSTOF Lemon on even more Ax-Crazy Yanderes, seasoned with heavy and frequent swearing, and garnished with yaoi and yuri. Here are the characters that go for it.
The Crystal DogsThe mission of the Crystal Dogs is to erase the ongoing war between the reformists and revolutionaries, called The Conflict of Tin and Brass. There are three members to this group, with a supporting band called The Sleepy Hollow.
- "So we're putting ourselves through hell!?"
- Accidental Pervert: Kakeru actually stared at one of the teachers due to her cans one time.
- Bishōnen: Mind you, Kakeru is pretty androgynous for a 15-year old.
- The Beautiful Elite: Subverted, Kakeru attends Hikariyama on scholarship, but his cousin is a notorious journalist.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Kakeru is one, and he's a pretty good jock. Subverted—he isn't really that energetic. Double Subverted when you find out that he's just very eager.
- Determinator: He stopped at nothing to get Kinji and Ginrou into the Org!
- Dumb Is Good: Averted, Kakeru knows a lot of things for his age.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Along with Kogawa and Derani, no less.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Pops up due to Hubspace's hypnosis, granting him the power to involuntary erase recent memories. Gone Horribly Right, even!
- Male Gaze: Kakeru suffers from it, especially whenever sleepy. His work is centered around Hubspace, and he can only do so much in 4 hours.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Kakeru is, by default, the new leader of the Tin Herons after Kinji's murder-suicide. He's actually quite Humanist, you know.
- "So anyway, do you think these groups question reality?"
- Bishōnen: Derani's also just as half-and-half as Kakeru in terms of looks, and he wants fangirls that bad!
- But Not Too Foreign: Derani's part-Australian and runs an English-language net radio show that's Sonic the Hedgehog remix-centric. His English name is also supposed to be Delaney Terrence, but his dad was a bit of a Weeaboo.
- Cloning Blues: Averted! Derani's quite happy he has a little brother in the form of Dylan. He always wanted one!
- Deadpan Snarker: He's the type who actually even insults you for implausibility!
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Kakeru and Kogawa, but neither of them knows why Derani founded the Brotherhood of the Crystal Dogs.
- Jade-Colored Glasses: Derani is a cynic. A heavy cynic. But subverted when you find out he's really starting to get a good grasp on true love.
- Knight in Sour Armor: This is what he became.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Subverted! Derani IS blonde and blue-eyed, yet his facial structure resembles that of a Japanese teen, as well as his VERY pale skin.
- TV Tropes Will Enhance Your Life: Derani knew the word gambit.As in Gambit Index. Before that, he thought it was just a slang word!
- "Clearly you need a few changes here and there, perhaps?"
- But Not Too Foreign: Kogawa's actually part-Canadian, and her dad moved back to Yokohama due to the recession.
- Character Blog: The only way she can get those accurate memories off her chest.
- Curtains Match the Window: Actually, Kogawa suffers from heterochromia: one blue eye, one hazel eye.
- Little Miss Snarker: Kogawa is no Kyonko, but can she be snarky? And so can you!
- She's also a Troper. EVERY Troper is a Deadpan Snarker no matter what age!
- Photographic Memory: Hubspace granted her this on the side, when she became a near-Hikikomori, but its limited to Hubspace-related stuffz.
- Token Mini-Moe: At least for the Crystal Dogs.
- TV Tropes Will Enhance Your Life: She picks apart certain things, but she doesn't snark the implausible that much. Wanna know what words she lives by?
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Kogawa enjoys fun much more that way, and uses her knowledge to her benefit. Justified in that Hikariyama actually makes you become wiser. Even at age 10!
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Cobalt hair. Like Rika's, but much darker.
The Tin Herons/The Gold Division of the OrgThe mission of this group is to successfully reform the world to accomodate humans a little better. Composed of five schooling idealists, this group seeks out the good in all humans, even if they all are such Jerks With Hearts Of Gold.
- "They can be pretty believable if you look at the details."
- The Hero: Justified in that Shouhei knows how to lead various people of any age—as long as they're younger than him.
- The Big Guy: Takes up Kinji's mantle after Kakeru becomes the new leader of the Herons, and Kinji's suicide.
- Student Council President: Shouhei's really good with knowing how to rule a group of people, especially if they're the same age. He's using the Conflict to learn how to gain the trust of people older than him.
- Genius Bruiser: Shouhei loves basketball AND Math more than anything.
- Humongous Mecha: His Hubspace equipment takes up certain aspects of Gundam and Gurren Lagann.
- Out of Focus: According to Dylan, that's why him and Hichou had been clamming up, in turn due to The Plan they were trying to seperate themselves from..
- Those Two Guys: SUBVERTED! Yes, really. Even though they seem to be background characters, him and Shouhei really are significant to the plot. They created the whole goddamn Conflict in the first place!
- Warrior Poet: Shouhei is not only a jock—he's quite a planner for his age, as well as a learned guy.
- Xanatos Gambit: There's another article for that.
- "'Kay, seriously! Is PK'ing gonna be the next leading cause of comas?"
- Author Avatar: One of two. Rukao, like the author is a troper and can even Lampshade Hang... certain things.
- Badass Longcoat: Coupled with no shirt and jeans only, no less. He's armed with a burning morning star!
- Deadpan Snarker: He is slightly snarky, due to him being a Troper.
- Hikikomori: Rukao joining the Conflict will help him get his life back in shape, and since Nanako's helping him bring himself back to reality...
- The Lancer: As said, he knows a lot about Hubspace's rules and systems more than anyone else. But he's in good competition with Mila.
- The Smart Guy: Can double as this. But Rukao deviates more from it.
- Mr. Fanservice: He's trying to avoid this, but even when he was a hikikomori, he actually had some gym equipment.
- Perma Stubble: Rukao got this when he was a hikikomori, and chose to keep it.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Of the Bleached Underpants vareity. But when he feels more Badass, he starts to move into a Kamina-like look.
- DEN'NOU TEIJOU, LINEAR MOTOR GIRL EXECUTED!
- Ascended Fangirl: Thanks to Hubspace, Mila has become her very own magical girl.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: Her Hubspace avatar comprises of steampunk influences, Cardcaptor Sakura-like wands and a Gothic Lolita feel.
- Everything's Better With Empresses: Mila knows that empresses have more authority than princesses, so she becomes one in her alter-ego.
- Genre Savvy: About the Magical Girl genre? Of course! She even becomes one.
- Heroic BSOD: Upon knowing that Dylan has traveled back in time to re-commit a massacre he did 15 minutes after.
- Magical Girl: When those of Hubspace are in trouble, who do they turn to!? Why, the Den'nou Teijou Linear Motor Girl, of course!
- Magic from Technology: Mila's alter-ego manifests as an upgrade to Hubspace encased in a heart-shaped thumbdrive.
- Meganekko: She says she looks more Moe that way.
- The Smart Guy: Deconstructed! Mila will inevitably learn anything—she's a kid. She loves learning in anyway. The sad part is, she's not good with physical activity and analysis—Mila can only know things.
The Sleepy HollowThe mission of the Sleepy Hollow is to act as a reconnaissance unit for the Dogs, or whoever wants to erase Hubspace from the modern world as we know it. These kids double as the Hikariyama school band and are composed of four (later five) members.
- "Oh my God, did I just gang-rape my own Morality Pet?"
- Author Avatar: More like Editor Avatar, due to the author's uncle editing his fanfics and OC fics.
- Big Brother Mentor: He is naturally a mentor to his siblings, and in the process, they get attached. Especially Tsugumu.
- Bright Slap: This time, it didn't work! Tsugumu eventually crossed the line twice. Besides, the author goes with the latter.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The Nice Guy persona only pops up around close friends and family.
- Bishounen: Long hair matched with that beanie hat, and a bit of a tan.
- The Hero: Yuuichi is the Hollow bandleader after all!
- Most Fanfic Writers Are Girls: Well, he averts this too. He wrote some KR fanfic back-in-the-day. Luckily, no Sues!
- The Power of Rock: He's good at Guitar Hero, and is taking up actual guitar lessons.
- "Yuuichi, what the hell happened with you and Tou-pon?"
- After the End: This is where he's from, along with Dylan. At least an AU scenario where humankind has learned how to seperate dimensions, merge them to hell and back!
- Deadpan Snarker: Amaki became more of this after becoming a Troper.
- Fish out of Water: Actually, not so much like the other examples: Amaki is already familiar with Earth due to being educated about life during our decade. But he was so immersed in it it became too much for him to handle!
- The Lancer: He and Yuuichi actually form a pair of Bash Brothers!
- Nice Guy: Amaki may come across as slightly cynical, though.
- The Power of Rock: He's the bassist of the Hollows.
- "Well, Yuuichi Minagawa, I just had an abortion and I know you're pro-life."
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: You wanna know why her tropes are all so Spoileriffic?
- Bright Slap: Tsugumu slapped her and it worked. If not, she would've become the Alpha Bitch who left the band.
- The Chick: Fujiko's supposed to be the moral compass of the group. But something says otherwise...
- Dark Chick: Guess what part-time job she applied for? Takeo's new assisstant.
- Face-Heel Turn: She defected as soon as she left the Hollows.
- Jerkass: As soon as she leaves the Hollows, she veers into this.
- "Okay, that's ridiculous! Now she's applying for a job in Yumegorosu?"
- Action Girl: Mika's a jock in Hikariyama, and note the two below tropes.
- Genki Girl: Mika's also supposed to be a lot like Shiki, due to the fact that they both love fashion, and are very hyper.
- The Lad-ette: She's quite boyish though, but to Lily levels.
- The Power of Rock: Mika's the keyboardist for the Hollows. She's pretty good too, and also wants to DJ.
- Those Two Guys: Actually, that guy and a girl. AKA Amaki and Mika.
- Out of Focus: Well, she doesn't appear much in chapters.
- Hopefully, she gains much more significance whenever the Hollows are all around.
- Out of Focus: Well, she doesn't appear much in chapters.
- "Whoever the fuck you are, whatever the hell you do, I WILL KILL YOU!
- Author Avatar: One of three. Tsugumu is documenting the Conflict and owning a TV Tropes account much like this one.
- Big Brother Mentor: Practically the son of Yuuichi, even though they're literal brothers!
- Adorably Precocious Child: The only one for the Hollows. Deconstructed in the fact that he's so curious to the point of asking personal questions, works hard because he's told to, and absolutely hates the workload he recieves thanks to school. He then uses Hubspace as a time to become a kid again, but this doesn't last long.
- Break the Cutie: Look at the next 3 tropes, will you?
- Despair Event Horizon: Tsukiyo then hates him, Aniki slapped him, and Tsugumu's self-esteem has been lowered! YOU tell me how it feels for a kid to go through that.
- Genre Savvy: Tsugumu is a Troper who owns an account named EPIC. So much for self-advertising, huh?
- Keet: TSUGUMU IS 'FUCKING GENKI! :D :D :D Yes, that's the normal amount of smileys he types in a Y!M sentence.
- ''"Okay, that's IT! I hate you now. I may as well reject you for the asshole you are.