This is a story that ends the world. One that can destroy things.
"Humans can change the world, just in different directions!"
Kogawa Nagari, age 10
One that causes murder.KIKEN
is a story authored by EPIC
. It's about a Conflict due to an online game called Hubspace
is a never-endingly popular MMORPG, and all three books take place in said game. 2 groups, named the Tin Herons and the Brass Kites, choose to either reform or destroy the game. But a third side of the Conflict, known as the Crystal Dogs, choose to stop the Conflict with the use of drawing the Herons and Kites to a newer organization, thereby stopping something that may just cause the definite end of the human world, inside out. How will they do it? You'll just have to read and find out.
KIKEN comes in three books: CHIKYUUGAOWARUHANASHI
, or An Earth-Ending Story
, or An Object-Destroying Story
, or A Person-Slaughtering Story
. The latter two are unfinished, and on FictionPress.
KIKEN provides examples of:
- Apocalypse How: And how!
- Alternate Universe/Alternate Continuity: Some of which become sequels to the books.
- Author Avatar: Tsugumu. And he loves writing— but goes on a hiatus during his participation in the Conflict.
- Author Existence Failure: Tsugumu ends up committing suicide after finding 2 of his 3 siblings dead. The other Org members (save for Dylan, who disappeared) end up continuing the story from their perspectives.
- The Beautiful Elite: Hikariyama is available to the middle-class and above, while looking splendid and always grand. Doubly subverted due to them living in modest apartments—but they're 3-bedroom, 2-bath, 1-every other room.
- Bland-Name Product Averted, slightly. DSi's, TV Tropes, Nintendo, and Sega are all referenced.
- Actually, Nintendo and Sega merged due to Yumegorosu gaining up on them in terms of sale and profit—forming DouSE.
- Cast Full of Pretty Boys: Every boy involved with the Conflict is a pretty boy. But this gets balanced in the yet-to-be-written third book.
- Continuity Cameo: Tsugumu and Tsukiyo will appear from EPIC! Oretachi. Yuuichi from said series will become a minor character.
- Darker and Edgier: A little darker than EPIC! Oretachi.
- And from the looks of it, its alternate sequel.
- Deep-Immersion Gaming: Naturally. Most of the action takes place in an online game.
- Driven to Suicide: Seriously, how many characters have killed themselves!?
- The End Of Civilization As We Know It: And it feels fine indeed.
- Geodesic Cast: Hooah boy, you won't believe how many foils and counterparts—and clones there are in KIKEN.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Kakeru and Derani. Ginrou and Kinji pre-Conflict as well.
- Humongous Mecha: The equipment of Shouhei and Hichou in-game are like this, while mecha are employed by Gurren Lagann fan Kinji and Neon Genesis Evangelion fan Ginrou, due to them having premium accounts.
- Ho Yay: Thanks to Kakeru and Derani being a pair of the above trope, this'll be expected.
- Improbably Female Cast: The women in the Conflict, my God! They gain more in Book 2, when the pairing joins the Conflict.
- Jade-Colored Glasses: The Brass Kites.
- Josei: KIKEN is actually populated with pretty boys, while college student Nanako, aspiring lawyer Emiri, Hubspace admin/secretary for Takeo Juuri and free-lance reporter Yukari will also help draw women in.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Kakeru and Derani.
- Les Yay: Juuri and Emiri came out off-novel, making them prone to such.
- The Moorcock Effect: Inverted. KIKEN came first, EPIC! Oretachi, Who Is The One and PROJECT:Reach came last.
- Periphery Demographic: Hopefully, besides the adult unisex audience, boys and girls should be able to read this because of how short the chapters are, as well as the various realities characters face.
- Post Modernism: Really tries hard. But when it gets there, boy howdy!
- P.O.V. Sequel: Every 2nd chapter of the book will talk about certain events from another character's perspective, and goes through an all new resolution exclusive to that character. * Porn with Plot: The four hook-up scenes that appear actually add up, but censor them and you'll still get everything right for KIKEN.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Okay, each group complements each other, thanks to said Geodesic Cast.
- Roman à Clef
- Seinen: Many of the themes here are cynical, involve apathy and social commentary.
- Spiritual Successor: KIKEN successes BastOF LEMON/SYNDROME, X1999, .hack due to Deep Immersion Gaming, The End Of The World As We Know It as well as how much damage Hubspace causes in relation with the real world.
- Token Mini-Moe: Tsukiyo for The Hollows, Kogawa for the Dogs, Mila for the Herons and Kurumi for the Kites.
- True Neutral: The Sleepy Hollows, and Kogawa of the Crystal Dogs.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: The Tin Herons.
- What If?: Tsugumu committed suicide after the massacre, and Dylan ended up disappearing after trying to pull off what he would consider his Crowning Moment of Regret?