Welcome to the character page for the animated series, Braceface
open/close all folders
Voiced by: Alicia Silverstone (Seasons 1-2), Stacey DePass (Season 3)The lead of the series. A socially awkward girl whose braces complicate things even more (especially since they got affected when a lighting storm hit while they were being fitted on her). Also a stout vegetarian, animal lover and activist.
- A-Cup Angst: She is constantly and excessively insecure about her chest, being completely flat-chested. So much so in fact that she tried on one episode to increase her breast size with a pneumatic pump.
- Alliterative Name
- Always Someone Better: Genesis. Until it's revealed that Genesis feels the same way about her.
- Braces of Orthodontic Overkill: Subverted; Sharon got off relatively easy with her braces despite the side effects they bring.
- Cool Loser: To a small degree.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Sharon is known to be a clumsy, ditzy girl and would usually end up embarrassing herself one way or the next.
- Former Friend of Alpha Bitch: Sharon and Nina were friends as little girls, but one day someone destroyed all of Nina's dolls and she blamed Sharon. In the series finale, Nina learned the truth and reconciles with Sharon.
- Friend to All Living Things: She loves animals, so much so that her family has three cats and two dogs.
- iSophagus: Her braces tend to affect the environment around her from time to time including messing with lockers, electronics, water fountains, even sometimes receiving radio signals in her mouth.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Especially when it comes to activism. She is very stubborn in insisting that her reasons are the right one and can never see things from the other person's POV most of the time. Though its this attitude that powers most of the conflicts she gets into. More often then not she has to learn the hard way you can't always get what you want.
- Middle Child Syndrome
- Naïve Everygirl: Sharon wants everything a teenage girl wants: to be popular, get good grades, hang out with friends, and have a boyfriend. She sometimes does get into trouble and messes up like every other teen, but she always learns from her mistakes and sets things right in the end, no matter what the situation.
- Official Couple: With Alden. They initially become an official romantic couple when Alden ended up asking her out, but, one year later, Alden ended things due to Sharon's jealousy. In high school, Alden realized he still had feelings for her and worked to rebuild their relationship. Sharon accepted and they got back together.
- Outnumbered Sibling: Has two brothers and the only daughter in the family.
- Punny Name
- Soap Box Sadie: A very stubborn one at that. She is a vegetarian and animal rights activist.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Girly Girl to Maria's Tomboy.
Voiced by: Marnie McPhailSharon's best friend and all around tomboy whose really into sports
- Hot for Teacher: Did this with a substitute in Teacher's Pet.
- Letting Her Hair Down: From time to time, looks very cute too.
- Odango Hair: Her default style.
- Official Couple: With Brock by season three though it takes awhile as she initially just saw him as too immature. But slowly starts to warm up to him around the second season.
- Passionate Sports Girl: She loves sport, especially extreme sports, and is always trying to get her friends to join her, but Sharon and Connor do not share Maria's thirst for danger or competitive streak.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The Tomboy to Sharon's Girly Girl.
- Twofer Token Minority: Is both Chinese (on her father's side) and Italian (on her mother's).
- Wise Beyond Her Years: With a few exceptions, she's usually the voice of reason for Sharon.
Voiced by: Peter OldringThe initial male friend of Sharon's. Very much a nerd with every allergy under the sun but often there for his friends when needed.
- Hollywood Nerd
- Hypochondria: Mostly first season, dials it down later
- Jewish Complaining: Not surprising as he is Jewish.
- Megane: It is rare to see him without glasses.
- Official Couple: With Alyson in season two.
- Out of Focus: Doesn't pop up much in season three.
Voiced by: Vince CorazzaSharon's crush and eventually boyfriend. A nice guy who dreams of becoming a musician
- Nice Guy
- Official Couple: With Sharon for most of the second season and the end of the third
- Outnumbered Sibling: Ironically the opposite of Sharon, has three sisters and is the only son in his family.
- Second-Act Breakup: Due to Sharon's actions in Dear Alden, despite her efforts to fix the problem.
Voiced by: Daniel DeSantoAlden's best friend, a guy who tries to act cooler then he really is.
- Black Best Friend: Of Alden.
- Casanova Wannabe: He worked really hard at his "ladies' man" persona, but was not fooling anyone—especially not Maria.
- Class Clown: He is the kind of guy who is always trying to get attention.
- Cool Shades: Wears a pair.
- Last Name Basis: Usually calls Sharon (and sometimes Maria) by their last names.
- Official Couple: With Maria though it takes much to try and woo her. He finally succeeds in the second season.
- With Friends Like These...: There are a few episodes where he can be rather antagonistic.
Voiced by: Katie GriffinSharon's once best friend and now rival on the school grounds.
- Alpha Bitch: The most popular girl in her class.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Her attitude towards Sharon was started over a doll that had its head pulled off when they were in elementary school. She accused Sharon of doing it, despite having no proof that Sharon did it. In the third season, it's revealed that it was a cousin of Nina's who did it.
- Evil Redhead: She's got long red hair. But she's not a natural redhead, because in a flashback, she was shown to have brown hair.
- Girl Posse: Gets a new one after Triangles.
- Heel-Face Turn: Once the truth of the doll incident is known
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold/Lovable Alpha Bitch: Through most of the series, she does occasionally help Sharon and show some genuine kindness showing she still somewhat cares for the friendship they once had.
- Out of Focus: In Season 3.
- Pair the Spares: With Griffin, the son of Mr. Spitz's girlfriend.
- Popular Is Dumb: Averted, as Nina's one of the top students in her class.
- Rich Bitch: She's one of the richest kids in school.
- Stepford Smiler: While she flaunts her wealth and fashion, she's actually quite lonely: despite being super popular, Nina has very few actual friends and her parents, while they do spoil her, don't spend very much time with her and are usually too busy with work to spend any actual "quality time" with her.
Voiced by: Emily HampshireNina's friend through most of the first season. She leaves her in the second season.
- Beta Bitch: Subverted. Alyson was never actually cruel or mean; she just did whatever Nina told her to do, because like a lot of teenagers, Alyson wants to be noticed and fit in.
- The Ditz: A little simple minded.
- Former Friend of Alpha Bitch: Becomes this after Triangles.
- Heel-Face Turn: When she found out she had a crush on Connor and Nina made her choose between her or him.
- Hidden Depths: A backup career of her's is to be a heart surgeon. She also coaches soccer and has taken piano lessons since she was six. And is a really good fencer.
- Official Couple: With Connor in the second season.
- Out of Focus: Doesn't pop up much in later episodes.
- Verbal Tic: She says "like" and "totally" a lot.
Voiced by: Dan PetronijevicSharon's older brother, a seventeen year who had a growth spurt and looks much older then he really is.
- Aloof Older Brother: On occasion but otherwise he'll help his siblings when he can.
- Big Brother Instinct: On occasion, most notably in Teacher's Pet when he thinks a teacher is hitting on Sharon.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: He practically ripped a door off its hinges once.
- Official Couple: With Hannah.
- Younger Than They Look: He's only three years older than Sharon, but could easily pass for someone in his twenties.
Voiced by: Michael CeraSharon and Adam's younger brother, a music prodigy but still in his growing phase.
- Child Prodigy: A music prodigy at the piano.
- Bratty Halfpint: Sometimes. Most of the time he's pretty nice.
- Precocious Crush: To Alyson in an episode.
CarmenAnother friend of Alden's and a third member of his band.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: His appearance is rather feminine.
- Satellite Character: He doesn't really do or say much.
Mark "Dion" JonesSharon's Big Brother Mentor once she reaches high school. A aspiring fashion designer who makes can make clothes out of practically anything.
- Eccentric Mentor: To Sharon.
- The Fashionista: Dion is a budding fashion designer, and his innovative creations, usually made of stuff like dental floss or credit cards, are the hit of the school fashion shows.
- Straight Gay: Is revealed to be homosexual.
HannahA girl that lives next door to the Spitzs' that Adam has taken a liking to.
- Granola Girl: Like Sharon, she's a vegetarian and loves yoga.
- Girlish Pigtails: Her hairstyle.
- Official Couple: With Adam.
- Pink Means Feminine: She's always seen wearing a pink bandana.
MarloAlden's girlfriend after he and Sharon breaks up.
- Always Someone Better: From Sharon's viewpoint.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Gets progressively more and more like this during her relationship with Alden. It comes to a head in season three after hearing Alden dedicate a song to Sharon—though only on a professional level because Sharon helped him write it. She forces Alden to un-invite Sharon for a weekend trip to a lake—Sharon didn't get the message thanks to her braces erasing the message on her answering machine. Eventually, however, Alden and Marlo realize its not going to work out and they mutually decide break up.