Characters: American Gods
Beware of unmarked spoilers.
''The "Old Gods" and Their Allies
- Don't Fear the Reaper: Like Mr. Ibis, he's not such a bad guy.
- I'm a Humanitarian: While conducting autopsies, he has a habit of eating some of the corpse's heart. Respectfully.
- A shout out of sorts to the mythology of Anubis who would weigh the deceased's heart against a feather to judge where they would spend the afterlife.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Into a jackal, naturally.
The Zoryas (Zorya Utrennyaya, Zorya Vechernyaya and Zorya Polunochnaya)
- Break the Cutie: Wednesday twists her arm into service by going into a diatribe about what people do and do not believe about her holiday. She very nearly cries.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Her holiday celebrates mornings, life and rebirth. She plays a vital part in Shadow's resurrection.
- Fertile Feet
- Kiss of Life: To Shadow.
- Ms. Fanservice: As befitting a fertility goddess.
Samantha Black Crow
- Agent Mulder: Delivers an amazing and lengthy monologue to Shadow about all the things she believes in to get him to open up to her.
- Badass Normal: Faces Mr. Town and Mr. Road, and not only does she refuse to tell them anything about Shadow, she makes fun of their names. She also hitchhikes with Shadow, who's kind of scary before you get to know him.
- Braids, Beads and Buckskins: She doesn't dress like it, but she's proud of her Indian heritage.
- Bi the Way
- Genki Girl
- Girl Next Door: Well, technically, the girl next door's little sister.
- Granola Girl
- Little Miss Snarker
- Take-That Kiss: She plants what she terms a "fuck off" kiss on Shadow in a bar, although it was to tell everyone else there to fuck off, not him.
''The "New Gods" and Their Allies
The Technical Boy
- Badass Longcoat: Subverted. He dresses like the characters in The Matrix but is a physically weak nerd.
- Character Death: Killed by Loki as a demonstration of his plan to sacrifice the new and old gods, thereby resurrecting Odin's ghost.
- GIFT: Since he is the Anthropomorphic Personification of the Internet, it's only natural he acts like this.
- Super Loser: He may be a god, but nobody gives him much respect, and the narrative tends to refer to him as "the fat kid."
Mr. World/Low-Key Lyesmith/Loki Lie-Smith