Characters: Ai Yori Aoshi
A character sheet for Kaori, Aoi, and the other inhabitants of the Sakuraba house in Ai Yori Aoshi
. (Characters listed are sorted roughly in order of appearance)
open/close all folders
Kaoru is a college student and exile from the Hanabishi house. Having endured years of physical and emotional abuse from his grandfather, he made the choice to break free and move out on his own.
- Abusive Parents: After his father's death, the Hanabishi family forced Kaoru's mother to give Kaoru up to them for the sole purpose of raising him to be their next heir. Kaoru suffered years of physical and emotional abuse at the hands of his paternal grandfather, which culminated in said grandfather burning all of his mother's possessions and photos; when Kaoru tried to stop him, his grandfather savagely beat him with a wooden cane, leaving his back Covered with Scars. Sometime after this incident, Kaoru ran away from the Hanabishis and severed all ties with them for good.
- Accidental Pervert/Not What It Looks Like: Subverted; while Kaoru often finds himself in these kinds of situations, the girls always give him time to explain and realize it wasn't his fault, at times even realizing as such without an explanation. It's played straight once in episode 3; when Miyabi finds Aoi in Kaoru's house with a naked Kaoru on top of her (Kaoru was trying to stop Aoi from coming into the bathroom while he was bathing), she immediately assumes the worst and attacks him before Aoi calms her down.
- Achey Scars: The ones he got from his grandpa tend to hurt quite a bit when he's stressed.
- Bedmate Reveal: Number one recipient of this trope.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Aoi.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: He has many fond memories of his late mother.
- Heroic Bastard: His parents never married.
- Nice Guy: His dominant trait.
- Nom de Mom: In the manga's Distant Finale, he's taken his mother's surname.
- Parental Abandonment: Both his parents died on different dates, before the start of the story. However, his mother's fate was given more emphasis.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: Kaoru and Aoi love each other deeply in addition to being arranged to marry. Unfortunately, the arrangement was broken when Kaoru left the Hanabishi family, which is the primary cause for the drama in the story.
- Scars Are Forever: Some pretty nasty ones on his back as previously mentioned in Abusive Parents above. By the end of the story, they've finally started to fade.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He looks just like his mother.
- Unwanted Harem: All of the girls in the house except for Miyabi fall for him at one point, though as time goes on, they all become True Companions.
Aoi is one of the living heirs to the Sakuraba dry goodsnote
fortune. She had kept a Childhood Marriage Promise
to Kaoru, even though her own parents were against the idea
after he ran away from the Hanabishis. A chance encounter on a train has reunited them, and she has vowed to uphold her promise to stay with Kaoru for the rest of her life.
Tina is an American-born college student who has lived in the Kyushu region for most of her life (so much so, that she's almost completely forgotten how to speak English).
Taeko is a close friend of Tina and belongs to the same photography club where Tina and Kaoru are members. She seems to have a very unlucky streak (mostly involving tripping over things), and has been unable to hold down any kind of permanent job because of this, until pleas from Aoi and friends convince Miyabi to allow her to work as a maid.
A ferret that Tina buys for the house, though he becomes far more attached to Miyabi.
- All Animals Are Dogs: Behaves much like a house cat, brushing up against people's legs, hissing, and often bringing Miyabi dead bugs (much to Miyabi's dismay).
- Animal Reaction Shot: When Tina reveals the cage she bought for him, which she decorated with gaudy ribbons and baubles, Uzume actually hisses at the sight of it.
- Team Pet: Serves as one to the Sakuraba household.
Voiced by: Sayaka Narita (JP), Karen Strassman (EN)
Mayu, like Aoi, is the daughter of a prestigious businessman. And also like Aoi, she has been in love with Kaoru ever since she was little. She spends a lot of time bickering with Tina.
Voiced by: Haruko Momoi (JP), Kari Wahlgren (EN)
Taeko's cousin, who lives by the beach. First appears in volume 7 (anime episode 16).
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: as the smallest and youngest, she tends to receive this from time to time. And when she doesn't receive one, she may choose to solicit it.
- Bedmate Reveal: Tends to inflict this on Kaoru.
- Children Are Innocent: When she asks the other girls if they love Kaoru, they all freak out because what they mean by love and what Chika means are two different things (maybe).
- Genki Girl
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: A Running Gag in the story has various accidents and mishaps leave Chika standing completely naked in front of Kaoru. On one particular occasion, she not only drags her friends into it, she finds herself on the ground with her legs spread wide.
- Tan Lines: Due to coming from the beach.
- Token Mini-Moe: Both the smallest and youngest of the group.