Awesome / Sonic the Hedgehog
Through all of its ups
, the games in the Sonic the Hedgehog
series have been (and still are) so chock-full of awesome moments, each game has its own page (feel free to start pages for other games):
Series in general/Other:
- Essentially, every time Sonic goes super in the series is such a moment. The transformation sequences from Sonic Heroes and Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 are among the best ones. Regardless of the rest of the games, Sonic unleashing a huge Battle Aura around himself and turning the iconic golden color as the game's theme song plays is pretty damn incredible.
- In the games where you have to collect the emeralds yourself via special stages, the moment when you get the last one definitely counts. And if it's one of the games where you can go Super Sonic in normal gameplay (Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and every game starting with Sonic the Hedgehog 4), seeing the "NOW SONIC CAN BE SUPER SONIC" message can make you feel particularly triumphant.
- Sonic's surprise appearance in the Subspace Emissary is a crowning moment in itself, as he manages to charge up what appears to be the Ancient Light Attack to smash Tabuu so hard, his wings shatter and his Off Waves are interrupted.
- Heck, his introductory video, posted on the site when he was first revealed to have made it into the game, was a minute-long moment of awesome for him. Imagine the fan's thought process as he watches this video: Mario's there, he's beating up some Goombas, who's that running? Oh my god, it's those shoes. Oh my god, it's HIM. The 'hog himself blasts Mario out of the way, boasts "Sonic's the name, speed's my game!" "Live and Learn" kicks in. The rest of the video consists of him beating the crap out of several other Smashers (and pulling a victory pose with Mario, finally putting an end to their lifelong rivalry) before going Super Sonic. Indeed, many a fan had a fangasm as they watched this video knowing that their wet fanboy dreams would finally come to fruition.
- Even Snake's introduction video showed him in a two-sided battle, but Sonic never got a scratch in his.
- Sonic's impact on popular culture is so immense, the series even left its mark in the field of genetics. When a series of mammalian homologues of the hedgehog gene were discovered in 1995, two of them were named after real-world hedgehog species, "desert hedgehog" and "Indian hedgehog", while the third was named "Sonic hedgehog". Of the three homologues, Sonic hedgehog is the most extensively researched, playing a key role in the development of the human brain. There is even a protein inhibitor that binds to Sonic hedgehog, named "Robotnikinin".
- Even if Sonic has hit some low points in his series, he's still been with us for over 20 years. Somehow he and other characters in the series have endeared themselves to the general public and kept going after all this time. He has been a character that has appeared a wanderer and goof-off, but will still work as hard as he can to reach his goals (mostly saving the world), often with the help of some pretty cool friends, and great music in the background. So maybe some of the games aren't that great, but seeing any moments listed here (or ones that haven't been listed yet) will always make that kid in us happy to see a hero just one more time.
- The Progressive and Nike commercials. Sonic is finally regaining his place at the top of the gaming industry. It's nice to see Sonic becoming popular outside of the gaming industry, just like the old days.
- Similar to the above commercial-related and Super Smash Bros. examples, there's another meta example: his cameo role in Wreck-It Ralph. Why? Aside from the sheer awesomeness of Sonic getting top billing in one of the posters for the movie,◊ we should remember it's a Disney movie (and one that doesn't suck, at that, given this is a movie about the Video Game medium in general - à la Toy Story - rather than being based on a franchise). Not only he's coming back as a pop culture icon, as stated above; he's getting an expanded cameo role in a Disney movie. Sonic is now part of the freaking Disney Animated Canon.
- Destroying the Sonic Spinball stage 3 boss, the Veg-O-Machine, not only frees further animals from Unwilling Roboticisation, but also sends the entire island crashing into the ocean and forces Robotnik to take off in his space shuttle.
- The official Twitter account as it stands. Whoever SEGA hired to manage it has an excellent sense of humor and loves the series enough to know all the ins and outs of it, both good times and bad.