Have a question about how the TVTropes wiki works? No one knows this community better than the people in it, so ask away! Ask the Tropers is the page you come to when you have a question burning in your brain and the support pages didn't help. It's not for everything, though. For a list of all the resources for your questions, click here.
Ask the Tropers is for:
- • General questions about the wiki, how it works, and how to do things.
- • Reports of problems with wiki articles, or requests for help with wiki articles.
- • Reports of misbehavior or abuse by other tropers.
Ask the Tropers is not for:
- • Help identifying a trope. See TropeFinder.
- • Help identifying a work. See YouKnowThatShow.
- • Asking if a trope example is valid. See the Trope Talk forum.
- • Proposing new tropes. See TropeLaunchPad.
- • Making bug reports. See QueryBugs.
- • Asking for new wiki features. See QueryWishlist.
- • Chatting with other tropers. See our forums.
- • Reporting problems with advertisements. See this forum topic.
- • Reporting issues on the forums. Send a Holler instead.
Ask the Tropers:
Need Help With Tropes Film
Hey there, I am a wannabe contributor who wants to make a page for the Hindi film Nayak: The Real Hero. My main problem is that I do not know what tropes are part of this film and thus require your help. The film may be in Hindi but using a translator or perhaps just looking for the speakers' voice tone and body language could help discern some potential tropes.
Potential edit war Film
So Iíve been looking through the edit history of the MCU: Peggy Carter and Iíve only just now realized that thereís a possible edit war a few months back and I donít know if it still applies considering how itís only a few months ago. So Iíve removed a folder per consensus and then Darth Davros 75 readded it despite the consensus so I had to remove it again and remind that it was removed per consensus. Is he edit warring and if so, is it still penalizable even if itís months ago?
Plan succeeds despite setback Film
Is there any trope where:
- Characters plan something
- The plan is disrupted one way or another, in a truly dramatic fashion
- Yet their original goal is still achieved, despite the fact the plan itself failed entirely
I Think Someone Has Made An Inappropriate Page Film
I just discovered that someone has created a page for a movie called Theresa & Allison. The main problem with it however, is that the image for the page depicts the two female leads naked, with only their breasts covered. I'm pretty sure this goes against site regulations, so something should probably be done about it.
Disposability of a character on a whim? Film
Is there a trope to describe a specific situation of decadent insouciance and spectacular cruelty in which the most capricious, ephemeral pleasure of one means unimaginable pain and/or death for another (in both film and literature)? Thulsa Doom in Conan the Barbarian asks a girl to fall to her death and she does so unflinchingly. Salome dances sensually for Herod to have John the Baptist's head served in a golden charger. Roman emperors are making merry as the gladiators in the arena are shredded to pieces. The rich guests place bets and sip cocktails in the Hostel franchise as the hapless victims get tortured and killed for their entertainment, and so on. Are there any tropes for the agonizing torture/death on a whim in a setting of decadent excess?
The title of my Western that I want to add to TV Tropes includes an apostrophe. Is there any way to keep that apostrophe as the article's title, or do I have to remove it completely?
Happy about something bad Film
Update— I have entered this query into the Trope Finder feed.
What is the trope called where someone reacts to bad news with a happy response?
He: Sales are down by 50% this year.
She: I know— isn't it great!Edited by lynnscreenwriter
Hyphenating an abbreviation Film
Does anyone know why many of the articles for the James Bond films (and probably other media in the franchise) have the famous British foreign intelligence service MI6 written as "MI-6"? I would presume this also pertains to other fictional works depicting MI6, MI5 and possibly even (the fictional and parodic) MI7 in the Johnny English series. Just simply writing it as MI6 reads better, so I would like to edit to correct as many instances as I can. The hyphen/dash seems really redundant. Is it just because you need to write square brackets and equals on them to have them written as a simple abbreviation and not a link, and some tropers might not know how to do that?Edited by FlashSteps
YMMV from Outlaw King (2018) Film
I found this from Outlaw King as seen below.
- Hypocrite: Downplayed with Jonh Comyn. He insisted on bringing no weapons to a meeting on holy ground, but he had a dagger on his person during the meeting. This dagger is what Robert used to kill him with.
Want to split a page Film
Les Visiteurs covers three films plus general tropes from the series, complete with each individual film having its own picture in its folder. I think that the contents of the folders could just be moved to their own pages since they're pretty much complete trope pages in their own right, but should the existing one be moved to the Franchise namespace to cover the series in general, or should it just be changed to a page for the first film?
The movieís Trivia, change or delete? Film
I found this from Trivia / Hidalgo just underneath the Multiple Languages, Same Voice Actor.
- Wild American Mustangs today are threatened with extinction (along with wild burros) due to the Bureau of Land Management's roundups and mass slaughter. If you want to help, go to The American Wild Horse Campaign.
Horror High (1973) Film
Has anyone seen the 1973 film Horror High? It stars Pat Cardi, John Niland, and Austin Stoker and is about a bullied science nerd who gets revenge on his teachers by becoming a werewolf monster and killing them. I think it would make a good trope page
John Wick 4: Safe to enter Harsher in Hindsight entry? Film
As we all know, Lance Reddick passed away not long before John Wick 4 hit the theatres. Spoilers for John Wick 4:
Early in the movie, Charon is executed by the Marquis for John Wick's murder of The Elder, which is really hard to watch knowing about Reddick's passing.
Wonder is it safe to enter such entry for now, especially since the YMMV page still don't have many entries yet?Edited by Zovin
Adult Swim's Yule Log Knight of Cerebus Film
So, I just recently watched Adult Swim Yule Log and I was wondering if I should add that the Yule Log itself became the Knight of Cerebus for the film, since even though the film started off with Pleatherface and his mother murdering a woman and hiding in the log cabin, the film took a darker turn when the Yule Log comes to life and starts murdering people.
Win Back The Crowd Film
I need a clarification: is this trope only for franchises, or the general shift in creator's works that brings fans back? Yes, I know there is the "is this the example" forum thread, but this is a question regarding the trope in general, not just specific entry
Complainy edit reason Film
3 days ago the following example on YMMV.Transformers Rise Of The Beasts was deleted by Energizer:
- This has also led to theories about how Scourge is actually a version of Optimus from the same Bad Future, given that Scourge is Prime's Evil Counterpart in Transformers: Robots in Disguise.
Star Wars example line Film
For all the Star Wars movies (including Rogue One), I have noted that all the introductory lines were changed from Movie Title provides examples of: to some paraphrased quote from the film shoehorning the word "trope" somewhere.
Some of those changes may be old, but the most recent ones were the deed of tropers rundownforge50 and Star Tropes.
I'd like to know if this was discussed somewhere, and what the hivemind thinks of these changes overall.Edited by StFan
Edit War on Hijacked Destiny Film
WalkerBRiley deleted this entry under Film in Hijacked Destiny:
- Happens inadvertently in the Star Wars Continuity Reboot. The Skywalker bloodline ultimately ended having accomplished nothing and The Unchosen One Rey, descendant of the very person it was created to destroy, saves the day on her own and rubs salt in the wound by taking their name for herself in an attempt to honor their sacrifice.
Not formatting correctly Film
I tried to add 2 images but the caption is appearing at the trop of the character folder and not bellow the image
This is how I formatted it
Itís for the Beauty and the Beast (2017) page.Edited by PrincessLulu6