- Broken Base: The dub-edit where Ash mentions a "good friend" (obviously Misty) who left him and who he misses every day when talking to Max. Some (especially Pokéshippers) like it for the continuity it creates and find it to be rather sweet on Ash's part, while others dislike it for being another example of 4Kids altering the original script in an attempt to push Pokéshipping.
- Epileptic Trees: Just what was May wishing for?
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- Take a good, long look at the fake Groudon from this movie. Flash forward to 2014 and the Gen III remakes, Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, introduce Primal Reversion, a transformation for the mascot Legendaries similar in function to Mega Evolution. Three guesses what Primal Groudon greatly resembles.
- On that note, the final enemy of the XY series is very similar to the fake Groudon in this movie: a gigantic implacable imposter of a Legendary Ground-type Pokemon, seeking a shiny source of power.
- Applying to the English dub, the trailer heavy emphasizes a beast of hard liquid as centre focus, and looks like a corrupted version of a solid red character, it only shows up during the last 10-15 minutes, but causes many plot-altering events in that limited screentime, and being reduced to a less solid form before perishing. Is it the fake Groudon, or is it Venom?
- Magnificent Bastard: Butler was on the surface a friendly magician. But unbeknownst to most, Butler was a former Team Magma scientist who vowed revenge after an experiment to create a Groudon failed and resulted in his firing. Working with his girlfriend Diane, Butler found Jirachi hibernating in a crystal and gave it to Max in order to awaken it. Capturing the Pokémon Absol to prevent it from interfering, Butler attempted to use Jirachi's true eye as power source for creating a Groudon. When Ash and friends the group escaped with Jirachi, with the help of Diane and Absol, Butler followed them with a tracking device. Ambushing them, Butler successfully used Jirachi's third eye to create Groudon. When the Groudon came out as a energy stealing monster, Butler came up with the plan to destroy it, hoping to undo all problems that he caused.
- Nightmare Fuel: The pseudo-Groudon and its tentacles. It is enormous, drains the land dry while killing all plantlife just by existing, and its tentacles absorb everything they catch. Everything caught by this monster is visible inside its stomach, struggling in vain to break free. Fighting against it doesn't seem to do anything other than irritate it. No wonder everything runs away when it shows up.
YMMV / Pokémon: Jirachi: Wish Maker