"The Twelve Days of Christmas" is a 2D animated Christmas special, first airing on NBC in 1993.
Narrated by a partridge, this animated tale explains the lengthy and confusing Christmas carol of the same name. A brave and boorish knight named Sir Carolboomer wishes to marry the beautiful yet closed off Princess Silverbelle. In an attempt to win her heart, he steals what he thinks is a Christmas list, but turns out to be the answers to the King's crossword puzzle. He mistakenly enlists his long suffering servant Hollyberry to find every item on her bizarre list, including a partridge in a pear tree, eight maids a milking, four calling birds you get the basic idea. As to be expected, Hilarity Ensues.
The special provides examples of:
- Adorkable: Hollyberry is a shy, well-meaning, glasses-wearing sweetheart with a shy demeanor and nervous stammer. No wonder Silverbelle eventually falls for him.
- Agony of the Feet: For the "ten lords a' leaping" part of the list, Hollyberry fills the lords' shoes with hot pepper flakes, causing them to leap about uncontrollably.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Princess Silverbelle starts off as being very dismissive and outright hostile towards Hollyberry, threatening to have him executed if he continues to bring her gifts. Over the course of the story however, she warms up to him relatively quickly, and begins to find his valiant efforts to bring her gifts amusing and adorable.
- Fiery Redhead: Princess Silverbelle has vibrant red hair and and equally firey temper.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Hollyberry has a crush on Princess Silverbelle, who's a redhead.
- Off with His Head!: Princess Silverbelle threatens to have Hollyberry executed in this way if he keeps bringing her birds, given that they've been triggering her feather allergy. Carolboomer also threatens poor Hollyberry with this if he refuses to continue bringing her gifts.
- One Head Taller: Silverbelle stands about a head taller than Hollyberry.
- Plot Allergy: Silverbelle is allergic to feathers, which results in her breaking out into sneezing fits whenever Hollyberry brings a bird-themed gift to her.
- Princesses Prefer Pink: Silverbelle wears a pink gown.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Silverbelle winds up falling in love with the sweet and good-natured Hollyberry, much to the confusion and dismay of Carolboomer.