Roger and Doris are a married couple. They are childless and they wish for a baby. One night they wish on a shooting star—and that shooting star turns out to be a toddler, a human-seeming toddler who flies through the depths of space and right into their living room.
Roger and Doris are initially delighted. However, the child slowly starts acting weirder and weirder. It eats dog food from the dog bowl, and fish from the fish tank. It eats dinner plates. It begins to destroy the house, occasionally setting fires, drilling holes in the ceiling, generally wrecking things. And most disturbingly, it builds a communication device, pointed to space...
The NFB has it up on their Youtube channel. See it here.
No connection to feature film Strange Invaders.
- All Just a Dream: Roger wakes up and finds that the alien demon child was just a bad dream. It turns out that his wife is pregnant with human babies...but see Or Was It a Dream? below.
- Credits Gag: The alien baby is called "It" in the credits.
- Deranged Animation: A deeply crazy cartoon about an alien space baby that wreaks havoc in a couple's home.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: The dog never trusts the child, barking at it, opening the door and gesturing outside when Roger and Doris wonder what to do with it.
- Hemisphere Bias: Yep, that's North and South America visible as the star hurtles to earth.
- Knife Outline: When Roger falls down the stairs, some sharp objects left over from Peanut's cannibalizing everything tumble with him, and penetrate the floor around Roger's supine form, leaving him battered but uncut. Then comes the bowling ball. Crunch.
- Knitting Pregnancy Announcement: Averted. Doris shows a pair of booties she's knitted, and Roger's delighted...then she shows him an identical second pair of booties. They're for the dog.
- Line Boil: Done deliberately in the opening credits.
- One-Word Vocabulary: When Roger and Doris are contemplating the toddler that just landed in their living room, Roger says to Doris, "What's this, peanut?" The child then learns that word "PEANUT!" And yells it. Many many times. Eventually it becomes a Madness Mantra for Roger.
- Or Was It a Dream?: The closing image showing the woman pregnant with six babies that all bear a resemblance to the demon child is rather eerie.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Eventually Doris has enough and leaves.
- Staggered Zoom: On Roger when he opens a door to the child's room and finds out that it has made a communication device from the telescope and other electronic devices it has cannibalized.