Two cats, chubby Jose and his skinny friend Manuel, are lazing about, singing badly, when Speedy Gonzales shows up and essentially eggs them into a chase. Manuel is about to take off after Speedy when Jose stops him and tells him that it's no use chasing after Speedy, "the fastest mouse in all Mexico." Jose then explains that they have to use their wits to catch Speedy. Comic hijinks ensue as Speedy proves that he's as smart as he is fast.
One of two appearances of Speedy's cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez, the slowest mouse in all Mexico, who as it turns out has a trick of his own.
- Ash Face: Manuel gets this when the dynamite inside Speedy's hole blows up; Jose gets it at the end when he's shot in the face by Slowpoke.
- For the Evulz:
- From the hero, oddly enough, but there's no reason given for why Speedy runs up and dares the cats to chase after him.
- After sticking his head in the mousehole and realizing that the stick of dynamite has not exploded yet, Jose gets Manuel to stick his head in instead.
- Guile Hero: Speedy often used his wits as well. When the cats stuff a stick of dynamite in his hole, he sneaks up behind them and pops a plastic bag to trick them into thinking the dynamite exploded. The predictable result follows.
- Hand Cannon: Slowpoke whips out a gun bigger than he is to defeat Jose.
- I Don't Pay You to Think: Jose explains how to catch Speedy to Manuel.Jose: You can't catch him weeth the feets. You've got to catch him weeth...er, weeth the brains.Manuel: Brains? Where do we get thees brains?Jose: You don't need the brains. I have the brains.
- I Warned You: Manuel tried to warn Jose that Slowpoke carries a gun.
- Shout-Out: Jose tries catching Speedy with a fishhook baited with cheese, explaining "The gringo Bugs Bunny, I see him do this one in the motion pictures."
- Smoking Barrel Blowout: How Slowpoke celebrates shooting Jose in the face.
- Super Speed: Guess who? When Jose tries to catch Speedy with a rod and reel, Speedy drags him all the way to Los Angeles.