The film is infamous for being one of the Censored Eleven, although it is probably considered the least offensive of the 11, due to the Blackface characters being animal-like, as opposed to human. The only reason it is on the list is due to its use of the racial epithet "Uncle Tom".
This cartoon contains examples of:
- Damsel in Distress: Fluffy is nearly carried off by a Dastardly Whiplash.
- Dark Reprise: The skeletons sing a reprise of the titular song while terrorising Uncle Tom.
- Dastardly Whiplash: One tries to kidnap Fluffy near the end of the cartoon.
- Dem Bones: Uncle Tom is menaced by three skeletons.
- Kick the Dog: One of the skeletons literally kicks a skeleton dog.
- Oh, Crap!: Uncle Tom's reaction when he realizes that he's landed in a graveyard.
- Random Events Plot: However, it has more of a plot than most Merrie Melodies of the time, which barely have any plot at all.
- Title Drop: The cartoon opens with three blackface characters singing the titular song.
- Uncle Tomfoolery: Subverted. Despite there being a character named Uncle Tom, he doesn't act like one.