Frankenstein's Cat was an animated series created by Cosgrove Hall in the United Kingdom and Kayenta Productions in France. Based on a children's book by Curtis Jobling, Frankenstein's Cat is centred around Doctor Frankenstein's first experiment; a cat is created by the Doctor out of nine different cats, leading to his name being Nine. The series follows the exploits of the hyperactive Nine and his best (and only) friend Lottie as they outwit, outrun and generally outdo the citizens of Oddsburg.
Director Raoul Magrangeas and composer Jacques Davidovici also worked on other cartoon adaptation projects The Crumpets and Tom-Tom et Nana.
Frankenstein's Cat contains examples of:
- All of the Other Reindeer: None of the Doctor's other creations like Nine, and Lottie is constantly tormented by the other children of Oddsburg.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Parody: "Lucky Ticket" plays directly upon this trope, right down to the costumes of Doctor Frankenstein and his cat Nine. In the episode Frankenstein decides to placate an angry mob by announcing that he will give whoever finds his five golden tickets a tour of his castle. Said castle is actually full of dangerous monsters, but (with the help of Nine and child protagonist Lottie) Frankenstein attempts to pass the castle off as an actual chocolate factory.
- Frankenstein's Monster: Obviously.
- Hunter of Monsters: Gutner Van Halen. Van Halen, the "Monster Man" is a monster hunter who, as he puts it, "dedicated his life and limbs to their destruction", which is saying something, as he has sustained a few scars in his career; he lost his left arm whilst capturing a Two-Headed Transylvanian Zombie and lost his nose to a Giant Blood-Sucking Leech of the Black Lagoon. How he lost his left eye and his right leg are not known.
- Mad Scientist: Doctor Frankenstein
- Only Sane Man: Lottie seems to be the only levelheaded person in Oddsburg.
- Powder Keg Crowd: Saying the word "monster" will get the villagers of Oddsburg to pick up their torches and pitchforks in a flash.
- Pulling Himself Together: Nine has the ability to do this.
- Torches and Pitchforks: Forming an angry mob armed with torches and pitchforks to storm the castle is practically the official pastime of the villagers of Oddsburg.
- Überwald: Where Oddsburg is located.
- You Are Number 6: Nine gets his name because he was constructed from parts from nine different cats.