Welcome, friends. This is Jenn's site.
Founded sometime early in Turn of the Millennium, Friends Forever is a fan site for the second My Little Pony TV series, My Little Pony Tales, by Hasbro. It has a decently large fanfiction section which takes place seven years after the original series during the gang's senior year in high school. It follows up on the Slice of Life angle of the original, while keeping out most of the fantasy elements.
However, while the original series focused on mostly the girls, Starlight, Sweetheart, Melody, Brighteyes, Patch, Clover and Bonbon, Jenn's fanfics split the focus between them and seven boy ponies. Ace, Teddy and Lancer from the original return with four other boy ponies, Chase, Buddy, Dandy and Spinner. Now, the latter aren't Original Characters. They were in My Little Pony Tales, but very minorly.
These stories feature the cast in dealing with problems most teenagers have at that time in their lives: romance, breakups, grades, part-time jobs, getting a driver's license, worrying about college. Two of the fics even touched on the topics of drug abuse and while the other takes place at their high school reunion where they discover just how far apart they've fallen. Well worth a look if you liked My Little Pony Tales. Somewhat darker than the series ever was, but not by too much, usually.
Friends Forever provides examples of:
- Ascended Extra: The male ponies Chase, Buddy, Dandy, and Spinner. You probably don't remember these guys from the original show, but they did have a handful of appearances, most notably as dance partners for Bonbon, Clover, Patch, and Starlight in Roll Around The Clock. In fact, that's probably the only appearance where they even had lines.
- Cant Get Away With Nothing: Smoking pot might not be "nothing" but it's definitely not that big of a deal, but Clover ends up getting herself and her friends arrested when she'd caught with some.
- Darker and Edgier: It handled some topics and had references to sex that the original would never have gotten away with.
- Drugs Are Bad: The moral of one story titled "Don't Change" when Clover takes up marijuana, blows off all her true friends, and manages to get herself and them arrested after being caught with it by a local cop.
- Gossipy Hens: While they still are gossipy, the girls have toned it down a lot and are a lot more discreet. Seems the lesson from "Shop Talk" stuck.
- Growing Up Sucks: In one story titled "When Forever Ends", the gang graduates and goes to college. Despite promises to keep in touch, they don't, and at the ten yeay class reunion they discover just how far apart they've grown since the old days. (Exceptions being Sweetheart and Teddy, who got married right out of college, as well as Starlight and Ace.)