The game stars the eponymous detective Tony Tough who has been investigating a case involving stolen Halloween candy for the past ten years. It is yet another Halloween night, and Tony is determined to catch the culprit, which he believes to be of extra-terrestrial origins.
As hes putting together a disguise, his pet tapir Pantagruel gets kidnapped. The kidnappers letter leads Tony to Halloween Park, where he must solve puzzles and peoples problems to find where Pantagruel is being held. Will Tony also find the criminal behind the candy crimes?
The game is also available on Steam.
The prequel, Tony Tough 2: A Rake's Progress was released in 2006.
Tropes present in this game:
- Alien Fair Folk: A pumpkin-headed villain known as Jack O'Lantern steals candy from children every Halloween, and the protagonist believes him to be an alien who plans to conquer the Earth. Ultimately subverted; he's neither a supernatural creature nor an alien, but the protagonist's bully neighbor who got a pumpkin stuck on his head.
- Amusement Park of Doom: The Halloween Park, which was built by Jack as a trap for Tony.
- Eyes Always Shut: Tonys sprite is depicted this way. He opens his eyes wide whenever hes shocked.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Tony believes that aliens are behind the candy crimes. The prequel reveals that he has believed in aliens since he was a kid.
- Girls with Moustaches: Halloween Park has its own bearded lady.
- Kleptomaniac Hero: Tony. It comes with being an adventure game protagonist. Sometimes he has distract people to nab their stuff to use them in later puzzles.
- Laughing Mad: Pantagruels kidnapper. He breaks into laughing fits before and during his speech about closing the park gate.
- Nap-Inducing Speak: When Tony tells the elderly lady running the entrance booth about how a founding father died, she ends up falling asleep in the middle of his speech.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Pantagruel, Tony's "dog" and partner, is actually a tapir.
- Older Than They Look: People occasionally mistake Tony for a kid due to his short stature.
- Private Detective: Tonys job is this. He's been working as one for at least ten years.
- Running Gag: Pantagruel is a tapir, but Tony keeps on referring to him as a dog.
- Speaking Simlish: Pantagruel. Tony is unable to understand him because of that, but the player is provided with subtitles.
- You Can Talk?: Happens twice in the game. When Tony babbles at the caged beast in the park, he's surprised when the beast replies to him with sophisticated and full sentences. Later on, after talking to some statues, he tells himself to find something better to do. The statues then speak to him, and it turns out they are actually actors playing statues.