It is the future and mankind has managed to build a galactic empire by terraforming worthless wastelands into habitable planets. However, humanitys expansion is threatening by a war mongering alien race know as the Charva, who have conquered some of the distant colonies. A mothership full of expendable cloned super-soldiers is sent to eradicate the threat.
Being a throwback to overhead shooters such as Commando or Ikari Warriors, the game is quite light on story. However, it is not light on stuff to blow up, badass weapons and relentless hordes of enemies.
Not to be confused with the 2010 Stallone action film.
This game has examples of:
- After the End: Planet Earth is in ruins after the alien invasion. Alien mooks patrols the streets, and massive alien spaceships hovers menacingly in the skies.
- Alien Blood: Alien mooks bleeds green or blue blood after being gunned down.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: The console covers. If you're playing this game with a friend / sibling, you'll be doing this too, given the amount of alien mooks the game decides to throw at you.
- Bald of Awesome: Both soldiers are bald, and can kick piles upon piles of ass.
- Camera Screw: The bonus levels and a few sections are played with a third person camera instead of the top-down view of the rest of the game.
- Chest Monster: Some of the human hostages are infected with Scorpius aliens and will explode if you get near.
- David vs. Goliath: While you're assuming the role of a genetically-enhanced super-soldier, you're still a human sized hero after all. And you'll need to do battle against alien tanks, spaceships, giant mecha, and all sorts of massive machinery that absolutely dwarves your hero.
- Exploding Barrels: Well, exploding crates.
- Excuse Plot: Also No Plot? No Problem!, the entire game is just an excuse for players to kill loads and loads of faceless alien mooks with increasingly intense firepower.
- Homing Projectile: The Spyra missiles.
- Interchangeable Antimatter Keys: The keycards.
- Justified Extra Lives: Since the player character is part of an identical clone army, a life is simply another clone replacing the one that just died.
- Planet Looters: The Charvas.
- Power Armor: The Krulgan Hulk suit.
- Respawning Enemies: One level have you infiltrating the aliens' spaceship, where you get to battle seemingly limitless numbers of alien brutes which periodically drops down from tubes from above to assault you as you try finding your way out.
- Short-Range Shotgun: The shotgun is actually somewhat accurate at long-range, but does almost no damage.
- Spread Shot: The Spread Pulse gun, though only after you upgrade it.
- Super Soldier: The player characters.
- Tech Demo Game: Much like many of Rages other games, the game was made to show-off the capabilities of the (then) next-gen graphic cards. It was also one of the flashier launch game of the Dreamcast,