Discovery Freelancer is a mod and Continuation for Freelancer. It ranks highly on Mod Db in terms of popularity.
Discovery Freelancer contains examples of:
- Battleship Raid: Bombers have a field day of it.
- The Battlestar: With the addition of docking modules, any ship with the hardpoint mount and cargo space can become one. The Liberty and Rheinland carriers take the cake, though, with their whopping six docking module mounts.
- Cool Ship: Par for the course, and a lot of them.
- Continuation Fic: Of Freelancer.
- Continuity Porn: Carried over from the original.
- Darker and Edgier: The mod introduces Synthetic Marijuana and slaves as tradable commodities.
- An Entrepreneur Is You: You can either trade like you did in the vanilla Freelancer, or you can set up your very own player-owned base.
- Executive Meddling:Subverted. You know the old, original introduction to Freelancer? The one that Microsoft had cut? Well, according to the guys who do the updates, it really happened.
- Fan Nickname: Sometimes called Disco.
- Fantastic Drug: Cardamine, from the vanilla, and Nox, from Gallia
- Game Mod: See above.
- Lightning Bruiser: The average snubship and most Bombers.
- Metagame: Is frowned upon on the official server.
- Palette Swap: Due to varying reasons, groups like The Core have cosmetically different but functionally identical ships to their counterparts Bounty Hunters Guild, or the Imperial Kusari Navy's ships are effectively Kusari Republic ships but colored differently.
- Shout-Out: Earned its own page.
- Technology Marches On: In-Universe: The Cloaking Devices from vanilla? They now need only one heavy cruiser or battleship power core.
- Videogame Caring Potential: You can look after multiples of 200 people on your own space station, should you set one up, and see it grow into something great, or alternately, help your fellow players earn money so they can engage in...
- Videogame Cruelty Potential: You can pick up the pilots/captains/crew of ships you've shot down and sell them into slavery... Or leave them to freeze to death in the void of space. Or even blow them up. You bastard. Otherwise, you can just be a general pain to other players, pirating them, or ganking them, or otherwise being a dick.