This is the Trivia items page for the "Hollywood Babylon" (S02, Ep18) episode of Supernatural.
The Trivia items page for the entire series of Supernatural can be found here.
- Actor Allusion:
Studio tour guide: Now, to the right here is Stars Hollow. It's the setting for the television series Gilmore Girls. And, if we're lucky, we might even catch one of the show's stars.
Sam: [looking uncomfortable] Come on. [motions to Dean and gets off trolley]
- The tour guide then points out New York Avenue, where they shot Lois & Clark. Robert Singer, Phil Sgriccia and Jim Michaels, who are all directors and/or executive producers on Supernatural, also worked on the TV series Lois & Clark.
- The producer Jay Wiley, who is played by Don Stark, talks to someone on the phone named Bob. Don Stark also plays Bob Pinciotti in That '70s Show. It is also possible that Jay Wiley was meant to be talking to Robert (Bob) Singer, an executive producer of Supernatural.
- The producer Jay Wiley's phrase "You're kicking ass and taking names." is a variation of one used by Kim Manners, director and executive producer of Supernatural, who was known to say, "Kick it in the ass!" Kim Manners also made his directorial debut on the original Charlie's Angels series, while Real Life McG directed the Charlie's Angels movie.
- Marty's serious overuse of seriously is likely a reference to the commercials Jensen Ackles (Dean Winchester) and Jared Padalecki (Sam Winchester) did for Channel 10 in Australia.
Marty Flagg: [on the phone] Yeah. All right, get back to me on this, all right? Seriously...No, I'm serious...Dude, are you serious? 'Cause I'm serious. All right. Cool.
- Defictionalization: The movie trailer bills Hell Hazers II: The Reckoning as being "from the producers of Cornfield Massacre". 5 years after this episode aired, we have Avenging Sins...The Cornfield Massacre.
- Prop Recycling: The set of Hell Hazers II: The Reckoning has items seen in other recent Supernatural episodes.
- Similarly Named Works: The title of this episode is a Shout-Out to Kenneth Anger's sordid and inaccurate book.
- Write What You Know: Ben Edlund, the creator of The Tick and the writer of this episode, had previously worked on Angel and Point Pleasant. He used his knowledge of parody and the horror genre to write this episode.
- Write Who You Know: The director of Hell Hazers II: The Reckoning is named McG, which also is the name of one of the executive producers of Supernatural. Real Life McG is a director and producer who started out in music videos and gained prominence after directing the film Charlie's Angels. The McG character directing Hell Hazers II: The Reckoning is an unctuous jerkass who hits on his lead female actor and seems to be Only in It for the Money. However, he is also described as a "master" and a "genius". The portrayal seems to waver between Affectionate Parody and Adam Westing. The movie trailer bills Hell Hazers II: The Reckoning as being from the director of Charlie's Angels, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, and Hell Hazers.