Jensen Ross Ackles (born March 1, 1978 in Dallas, Texas) is an American actor, director, and singer. He's one of those actors where you can throw anything at him from an acting challenge point of view; you can shoot him, tie him up, torture him, dumb him down, make him all bloody and bruised, wring the emo from him, and generally have him flung against a hard, inanimate object nearly every episode and he'll eat it up with a spoon and knock it out of the park every time.
As well as being known for modelling photos, he's also well-known for being in shows such as Supernatural (Dean Winchester), Dark Angel (twins Ben & Alec) and Smallville (Jason Teague), as well as being in movies like Devour (Jake Gray) and My Bloody Valentine 3D (Tom Hanniger). His first big part was on Days of Our Lives, as Eric Roman Brady (Sami's twin).
Outside of Supernatural, he's been the voice of Jason Todd/Red Hood in Batman: Under the Red Hood, Gibson in the video game TRON: Evolution, and Kyle Madigan in the The 3rd Birthday. In an example of What Could Have Been, he was in talks to play Leon Kennedy in Resident Evil: Afterlife before the delays and the extensive rewrites. He is set to play Soldier Boy in season three of The Boys.
He's married to actress Danneel Ackles, with whom he has three kids: Justice Jay (JJ, born May 30, 2013) and twins Zeppelin Bram and Arrow Rhodes (born December 2nd, 2016). He's also close friends with his Supernatural co-stars Jared Padalecki and Misha Collins.
He and his family reside in Austin, Texas where they run a brewery, Family Business Beer Company. He and Danneel formed a production company, Chaos Machine Productions, and signed an overall deal with Warner Bros.
- Wishbone (1995) as Michael Duss
- Sweet Valley High (1996) as Brad
- Cybill (1997) as David
- Days of Our Lives (1997-2000) as Eric Brady
- Dark Angel (2001-02) as Ben McDowell / X5-493, Alec McDowell / X5-494
- Dawson's Creek (2002-03) as C.J.
- Smallville (2004-05) as Jason Teague
- Devour (2005) as Jake Gray
- Supernatural (2005-20) as Dean Winchester
- Ten Inch Hero (2007) as Priestly
- My Bloody Valentine 3D (2009) as Tom Hanniger
- Batman: Under the Red Hood (2010) as Jason Todd / Red Hood (voice)
- TRON: Evolution (2010) as Gibson (voice)
- The 3rd Birthday (2010) as Kyle Madigan (voice)
- The Hillywood Show (2015) as Dancer
- Batman: The Long Halloween (2021) as Bruce Wayne/Batman (voice)
- The Boys (TBA) as Soldier Boy
Tropes associated with this actor's career include:
- Directed by Cast Member: Directed five episodes of Supernatural.
- Hypothetical Casting: Ackles was Arrow producer Marc Guggenheim's personal choice to portray Bruce Wayne if Warner Bros ever allowed them access to the character, but this never materialized on the show. (The role has since been filled by Warren Christie in Batwoman.)
- What Could Have Been: He was allegedly the runner-up for the role of Clark Kent in Smallville had Tom Welling turn down the part. He would later go on to portray Jason Teague in the fourth season of the series.