- Christmas Rushed: It was rushed out to meet its 2000 goal. As a result, the original version of the game is somewhat incomplete and glitchy.
- Fake Nationality:
- Sheila is voiced by English actress Edita Brychta doning an Australian accent.
- Fake Brit: Sgt. James Byrd is voiced by American voice actor Tom Kenny doing a British accent.
- Bentley averts the trope as his voice actor Neil Ross was born in England and moved to America when he was 12.
- Meaningful Release Date: This game was released in Year 2000, the actual Year of the Dragon.
- Talking to Himself: Neil Ross voices both Moneybags the Bear and Bentley the Yeti. Which makes the scene between them also a case of "beat the crap out of yourself with a giant club."
- Throw It In!: Spyro reclaiming his gems from Moneybags by beating him up until he's coughed up every last gem you've given to him over the course of the game was put in solely because he was so reviled by the playstesters of the game.
- What Could Have Been:
- The hummingbirds were originally male. For example, Cpl. Gabrielle was originally named "Eric".
- The eggs had intentionally Outdated Names in earlier versions of the name, likely go with the interpretations that dragons are anachronistic.
- Sunset Villa had a different layout earlier in development. There was a huge fountain in the middle of the main part of the level. There were also rooms on top of the building where the gate is.
- Honey Speedway was originally called "Honeycomb Speedway", Dino Mines was called "Dry Gulch", and Haunted Tomb is called "Catacomb Caverns".
- In Dino Mines there is a Dummied Out arena that can be accessed with the "swimming in the air" glitch. It's speculated that Spyro was meant to do a shoot-out with the Bailey gang similar to Agent 9.
- Prerelease footage shows that Bamboo Terrace's track had a section cut where a woman vocalizes. There were also originally tigers in the level but the final version only shows oxen.
- The Professor has unused dialogue in the games' files that implies he was supposed to meet Agent 9 in an earlier homeworld. This is backed up by some of Greta's dialogue in Fireworks Factory talking about helping the Professor build a rocket, further implying that Spyro was originally intended to meet him in Evening Lake.
- Sgt. Byrd was originally a pig.
- Concept art shows a horned version of Sheila with a shirt and boxing gloves on.
Trivia / Spyro: Year of the Dragon