- Awesome, Dear Boy: Simon Baker took on his role in the film because he'd never appeared in a horror movie before and because he wanted to work with George A. Romero.
- Banned in China: The film was banned in Ukraine.
- California Doubling: Though set in Pennsylvania like its predecessors, the film was shot almost entirely in Toronto, Canada. This makes it the first film in the Dead series to be shot outside the state, and outside of the United States as a whole.
- Fake American: Aside from John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper, nearly the entire cast is Canadian. The major exceptions, Simon Baker and Asia Argento, are respectively Australian and Italian.
- Multiple Languages, Same Voice Actor: Asia Argento dubbed herself as Slack in the Italian dub of the movie.
- Real-Life Relative: George A. Romero's daughter is the soldier who shoots the zombie on the electrified fence.
- Refitted for Sequel: The film was partly based on the original, much longer script for Day of the Dead (1985).
- Spared by the Cut: Sutherland, Kaufman's more reasonable co-leader, is betrayed and shot by Kaufman in the film. In the original script, he survives to lead an evacuation of Fiddler's Green while leaving the avaricious Kaufman behind to die.
- Voice-Only Cameo: George A. Romero's voice can be heard as one of the puppets in the children's show.
- What Could Have Been:
- Romero originally wanted to include more explicit references to the previous Dead films, even trying to use stock footage from Dawn and Day in the opening credits. This was nixed due to the (still on-going) rights complications involving those films. This is why Tom Savini's character is credited as "Machete Zombie" instead of "Blades", the name of his character in Dawn whose role he's reprising.
- In the original script, Sutherland escapes from Fiddler's Green with several other wealthier residents, by bribing Kaufman's private pilot to take them away in his helicopter instead, leaving Kaufman behind to be attacked by Cholo and Big Daddy, but this scene was cut after Dennis Hopper ad-libbed shooting Sutherland in one scene and it made it into the final cut.
- Working Title: Twilight of the Dead, Dead City, Dead Reckoning and Night of the Living Dead: Dead Reckoning.
Trivia / Land of the Dead