Reba Gallagher stands conflicted at a press conference where her country superstar husband publicizes an extramarital affair. When he condescendingly suggests that she'll always be by his side, she takes the mike and demands a divorce. She then takes her two kids, June and Cash, and her mother, Lillie Mae (Lily Tomlin) to his previously unknown summer home in Malibu, where she tries to get back into the country music game herself (under her maiden name MacKenzie) after getting out of it for the good of her marriage. Along the way, she tries to keep her kids grounded, get on good terms with her new neighbor Kim (Sara Rue), and fights with her chosen record producer, but ultimately wows the producers's assistant Geoffrey (Jai Rodriguez)...which gets her absolutely no pull because the producer still doesn't know his name.
Tropes present in Malibu Country:
- And Starring: Lily Tomlin.
- Big Brother Instinct: Cash
- Bowling for Ratings: "Bowling for Mama".
- Camp Gay: Geoffrey, as played by Jai Rodriguez, otherwise best known for co-hosting Queer Eye For The Straight Guy.
- The Ditz: Kim. Cash as well.
- Hollywood Atheist: Nicely averted when June admits she's an atheist. Reba respects this, along with her desire to not attend church anymore.
- Mistaken for Gay: Cash, a couple of times.
- Practice Kiss: Reba catches June practice kissing with a boy, who swears he's gay (and turns out to be Kim's son).
- Short-Runner: Ran for 18 episodes.
- Theme Naming: Reba's kids are named Cash and June. If she'd had another boy, he'd probably have been named Johnny.
- Very Special Episode: The eighth episode "Push Comes to Shove" involves Cash being picked on by the school bully and becoming a bully himself, which ends with a short PSA about the consequences of bullying.