Look and Read is a long-running Edutainment Show on The BBC for primary schools, first broadcast in 1967. It consists of a series of unrelated stories spread over several episodes each, with numerous musical interludes intended to teach children about subjects such as spelling and vocabulary.
Look and Read serials with their own trope pages include:
Look and Read provides examples of:
- Blitz Evacuees: Norman, Dennis and Mary in Spywatch.
- Cephalothorax: Wordy is basically a hovering sphere covered in letters, with arms and a face.
- Framing Story: Many of the storylines had a framing story with the educational bits, often featuring Wordy and a human assistant in a thematically appropriate location.
- Friendly Ghost: Lord Dark's ancestor in Dark Towers accurately describes himself as one.
- Green Aesop: Earthwarp is about the dangers of pollution (although it's a bit Space Whale Aesop about it). Sky Hunter is a more down-to-earth story about how egg-collecting threatens endangered birds.
- Mentor Mascot: Wordy, from 1974 to 1992.