Remy & Boo is an American-Canadian computer-animated Preschool Show produced by the Toronto-based animation studio Industrial Brothers (who also produced Dot. and Top Wing) and created by Matthew Fernandes (who also made Dex Hamilton: Alien Entomologist and Kingdom Force) that premiered in 2020 on Universal Kids and also airs on CBC Kids in Canada.
The show follows Remy, an adventurous 6-year-old girl whose best friend is a big, pink, squishy robot named Boo that was created by her grandfather. Through the combined power of Remy's indomitable spirit and Boo's can-do attitude, our two friends find adventures both big and small to be had everywhere in their hometown of Dolphin Bay, learning and playing with the help of their imaginations and The Power of Friendship.
Tropes of the series:
- Ambiguously Brown: Remy's friend Nikhil has darker skin than her and her other friend Mia, but his exact ethnicity is not stated.
- An Aesop: Remy always learns important lessons in the end that kids might find application to in their lives.
- Balloonacy: Boo flies by releasing a bunch of balloons from the little pack on his back. While it's not the most effective method, he can improve his control by turning is tail into a tiny propeller.
- Black Bead Eyes: Boo has these, in contrast to the more detailed and fully colored eyes of the human characters.
- Camping Episode: "The Snicklehoot" has Remy, Boo, Mia, and Remy's dad out on a camping trip. However, Mia tells Remy and Boo about a monster called the Snicklehoot, and they become afraid it might be real.
- Cartoon Creature: While Boo is a robot, exactly what his appearance was designed after is hard to say. All that's for certain is that he's some kind of pink, four-legged thing with floppy ears and a stubby tail.
- Cool Old Guy: Remy's grandfather Poppy. He was Boo's creator, after all. Also, the local sailor, Skipper Jack.
- Cranky Neighbor: Mr. Periwinkle, who lives across the street from Remy and Boo, is their snooty neighbor. He generally doesn't like them very much, but he does show kindness to them sometimes.
- Cuddle Bug: Boo loves giving hugs (or "snuzzles" as he calls them) and getting them. In fact, hugs help him recharge his batteries!
- Cute Machines: Boo is a soft and huggable kind of robot in the vein of Baymax with a playful and innocent personality.
- Do-Anything Robot: Boo is equipped with a wide variety of abilities, which include flying by conjuring balloons from his back, shooting light-based confetti, and extending a robot arm with a certain tool to fix things.
- Goth: Remy's cousin Skylar, who used to be Remy's best friend until she turned Goth as a result of her friend Ava moving away.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Of Remy's human friends Nikhil and Mia, the brave Mia is the masculine girl to the cautious Nikhil's feminine boy.
- Mixed Ancestry: Remy's mother and maternal grandfather (Boo's creator) are Caucasian, while her dad is East Asian.
- Name and Name: The show is of course named after its two main characters, whose friendship is a defining feature of the series.
- The Power of Friendship: A central theme in the series. Remy and Boo value each other more than anything else, and their unconditional love and support is fundamental to a lot of the show's stories. The show's theme song exemplifies it as well.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Boo. One quick glimpse of his design and you can just tell how adorable he is.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Mia is the Tomboy to Remy's Girly Girl, being much braver and more confident than her.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: E.B. the lady who runs the milkshake stand, has pink hair.