Lisa: Our father is gonna improv live answers to questions from the TV audience. It only took us 27 years to do what they could do in 1954!
Bart: Homer, time to bomb.
Homer turns to improv comedy to get over his fear of public speaking. The last 3 minutes also features the highly anticipated "Homer Live" event where fans could ask Homer questions and call in to talk to him live.
This episode contains examples of:
- Astral Projection: Homer attempts this in order to cope with the upcoming public speech, but then his soul freaks out and does it as well, reducing him to a mere blue outline◊.Outline Homer: What the hell is this?!
- Biting-the-Hand Humor: Lisa holds up a sign reading "We parked on Bill O'Reilly's parking spot".
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The "Homer Live" sequence.
- Callback: Kodos holds up a sign that says "Don't Blame Me I Voted for Kodos".
- Crossover Punch Line: During the live segment, Bender walks by with a sign reading "Bring Back Futurama (Again)."
- Orwellian Retcon: In the West Coast version of "Homer Live", the first caller is named Steven. In the online release and subsequent airings, he is named William instead.
- Helium Speech: Lisa at the improv festival.
- Improv: Homer joins and then creates his own improv comedy group.
- Live Episode: The "Homer Live" segment at the end of the episode. Averted with the International version, which is pre-recorded and has Homer announcing his candidacy for US President instead of taking calls.
- Logo Joke: Homer talks over both the Gracie Films and 20th Century Fox logos (both of which play in silence).
- Obnoxious In-Laws: In the version where he announces his candidacy, Homer promises an export increase by exporting his sisters-in-law.
- Pants-Free: During the live segment, Bart steals Homer's pants. At the end of the East Coast version, Homer asks for his pants back.
- Performance Anxiety: Homer struggles with this and turns to improv comedy to help him get over it.
- Recognition Failure: On the West coast version of the live segment, Homer mistakes Bernie Sanders (running for the Democratic Presidential nominee) for Colonel Sanders of KFC fame.
- Take That!:
- In the East Coast feed of the Homer Live segment: "And to prove that we're live, on Saturday Night Live last night, Drake was terrible."
- In the International feed of Homer Live, one of Homer's campaign promises if elected president is to "get rid of the boring Olympic events... like All of Them".
- Moe says awards shows are planned and that's why the losers don't show up. Homer argues that they have scheduling conflicts and Moe mocks the idea of Dave Franco having a scheduling conflict.
- Treehouse of Fun: Bart gets jealous of Ralph's treehouse and asks Marge to make him a better treehouse than his current one.
- Where the Hell Is Springfield?: At the end of the International version of Homer Live, Homer wraps up his speech as so: "God bless America, and God bless Springfield, in the beautiful state of— oh, wait. I'm afraid my time is up."