Lisa and Marge are having problems, so they take a weekend trip to Capital City to attend a performance of Bad News Bears: The Musical. Meanwhile, Bart teams up with Maggie to trick people, after he becomes frustrated that everyone expects his pranks.
- The Atoner: Marge takes Lisa on a trip in Capital City to make up for hurting her.
- Big Brother Instinct: Bart punches Gerald for taking away Maggie's doll. Only to be punched by Gerald's older brother who gets punched by Homer who gets kicked by a kangaroo who hops off with Maggie's doll.
- Calling Parents by Their Name: Lisa starts calling Marge "Marjorie" due to finding out she hates jazz even when Lisa plays it.Homer: So? Bart calls me Homer.
Marge: You know that's out of disrespect.
- Cash Lure: The first prank Bart tries to play in the episode.
- Crossover: Bart is pranked by Archie Comics charactersnote . This might also double as an indirect Actor Allusion, as Archie was once voiced by Andrew Rannells.
- Perpetual Poverty: Realizing the bill and string are a prank, Kirk Van Houten is upset since he could use not only the money but also the string.
- Self-Deprecation: When Lisa complains about how Broadway makes musical versions of everything until it becomes old, a subtitle announces that the Simpsons' seventeenth season is still available on DVD.
- Special Guest: Andrew Rannells, as himself.
- Too Dumb to Live: Ralph Wiggum is dumb enough to mistake electric cables for candy and chew them and even he won't fall for Bart's pranks.
- Totem Pole Trench: Bart and Maggie use this trick to ride a roller coaster.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Andrew calls Lisa out for refusing to forgive her mother despite her attempts at reconciliation.
- Youre Not My Mother: The main conflict is Lisa disowning Marge after learning that her mother doesn't actually like her interests.