Gumball has a dream where Darwin kisses Penny, and gets mad at him in real life, so the duo go on an Inception-style journey through their dreams to change it.
- Abnormal Limb Rotation Range: Gumball keeps turning away from Darwin because he doesn't want to talk to him, but turns out to be only turning the upper half of his body in the same direction over and over. His body is twisted like a corkscrew, resulting in him walking backward, falling over, and spinning his lower half around like a helicopter blade.
- Backhanded Apology: Darwin to Gumball:Darwin: Look, I can't believe I'm about to say this, but... I apologize. (under his breath) For something I didn't do. Okay?
Gumball: I'm sorry, man, I just can't accept your apology... especially if you don't mean it!
- Badass Cape: To share a dream, Gumball and Darwin wear a tinfoil hat to connect their brains but also capes "because they're awesome".
- Bowdlerization: On Cartoon Network's Arabian channel, the episode ends abruptly to remove the part where Gumball changes the dream so that way Darwin is kissing Sussie and the subsequent part where the two wake up and Darwin is freaked out over the new dream.
- Brain Bleach: Gumball gets rid of the original dream by changing it to Darwin kissing Sussie instead of Penny. Darwin is rather horrified, commenting that "I can wash the kiss off my tongue but it will never leave my brain!"
- Daydream Surprise: The episode begins without explicitly stating this scene to be part of Gumball's dream, although the surrealism of what's going on make it the only obvious conclusion.
- Dream Walker: Gumball and Darwin share dreams by wearing a Tin Foil Hat that supposedly forms a connection between their two heads.
- Irrational Hatred: Even though his dream is entirely a product of his own mind, Gumball still treats Darwin like a traitor for kissing Penny in it.
- Karma Houdini: Gumball treats Darwin terribly over something that isn't his fault, forces Penny to eat food she's horribly allergic to then refuses to give her the right allergy pills (the different "pills" he gave her turn out to be thumbtacks), and gets rid of his own bad dream by making it similarly traumatic for Darwin. Darwin complains, but Gumball tells him it's just a dream and the episode ends.
- Layman's Terms: Anais has to go through multiple layers of dumbing-down to get the idea of dream psychoanalysis by Gumball and Darwin.Anais: All dreams are just subconscious representations of real-life thoughts. By analyzing what the dream means, we can resolve the real-life problem.
Gumball and Darwin: Eh?
Anais: If we work out what the dream represents, we can resolve the problem in real life.
(Gumball and Darwin make an even more puzzled face)
Anais: ... Explain-y dream, feel-y good.
Gumball and Darwin: Ohhhh!
- Mad at a Dream: Even after acknowledging how little sense it makes, Gumball refuses to forgive Darwin
- Metaphorgotten: Gumball tries to test if Penny really likes her or Darwin better by seeing which of the two cupcakes colored like them she liked more. The point was to see which without letting her know Gumball likes her, but what he has to say about it makes the real meaning rather obvious.So, do you want this handsome, charismatic, faithful, devoted blueberry cupcake? Or this backstabbing, ugly orange cake — which should never have grown legs!
- My God, What Have I Done?: Gumball expresses this when he causes Penny to have an allergic reaction to the blue cupcake.
- "Not Wearing Pants" Dream: Gumball and Darwin enter one of Darwin's dreams where they are naked in the mall. They try making everyone else naked, but they find it just as embarrassing.
- Screw Yourself: To "get even" with Gumball, Darwin tells Gumball he'll let him kiss the person he cares most about... which is also Gumball. So Gumball takes his own mouth off and uses it to kiss himself.Gumball: How do you like that?
Darwin: Not as much as you do.
- Stylistic Self-Parody: After Gumball wakes up from the dream where Darwin kisses Penny, he immediately puts his hands around Darwin's legs and starts shaking them.Darwin: What are you doing?
Gumball: Trying to throttle you, but you don't have a neck!
- Void Between the Worlds: The space between Gumball and Darwin's dreams is an infinite black void with a single spotlight.
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: Gumball wakes up from his dream with Darwin for a few second and when he comes back Darwin says multiple days had passed from his perspective. He had already started eating Gumball.