SpongeBob breaks his precious alarm clock, and nothing else is loud enough to wake him up on time.
"Broken Alarm" contains examples of:
- Big "NO!": SpongeBob does this when Mr. Krabs reveals that he will have to open and close the restaurant an hour later due to SpongeBob not being able to show up on time.
- Continuity Snarl: Mr. Krabs claims SpongeBob has never been late for work despite episodes like "Hooky", "Have You Seen This Snail?", "New Digs", and "Blackened Sponge" showing otherwise.
- Heavy Sleeper: SpongeBob turns out to be one if he doesn't have his alarm clock to wake him up.
- Rube Goldberg Device: SpongeBob builds one out of all the alarm clocks he buys to help him get to work and do his job while he sleeps.
- Shout-Out: During a montage, SpongeBob passes through the famous painting The Persistence of Memory (the one with the melting clocks).
Karen quickly learns that kids grow up too fast after her new child arrives in the mail.
"Karen's Baby" contains examples of:
- A Day in the Limelight: This episode mostly focuses on Karen as she tries to raise her son.
- Chekhov's Gun: Chip's swearing is shown to operate on a frequency that Plankton's antenna can detect easily (much to the latter's dismay). This comes in handy when Chip ends up in danger later in the episode and needs Plankton's help.
- Dead Guy Junior: Parodied. Karen names the baby "Chip" after her grandfather, which is actually a computer chip that's inside her software.
- Delivery Stork: A robot stork delivers Chip as a baby.
- I Can't Believe I'm Saying This: While Plankton is calling out for Chip after the latter runs away from home:Plankton: Come to Daddy! Ugh, what am I saying?
- Mama Bear: After finding out that Plankton convinced their son to run away, Karen threatens Plankton with violence and demands that he go find him.
- Papa Wolf: Plankton, after being adamantly against accepting Chip and even tricking him into running away, rushes in with a tank as soon as he realizes Chip is in trouble.Plankton: Get away from my son!
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: Chip's upgrades make him grow older throughout the episode until he's old enough to go to college and get a job.
- So Proud of You: Plankton is very pleased when Chip goes off to college and gets a job as an ATM where he trolls the crap out of Mr. Krabs.
- Tears of Joy: Plankton and Karen do this after Chip announces that he's going off to college.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Plankton forms a bond with his new son. Showing great pride in him and as the cherry on top, Chip trolls Mr. Krabs, his father's worst enemy.