Whilst taking Rimmer on an asteroid-spotting trip in Starbug, Kryten discovers a crashed spaceship and rescues Camille, a mechanoid from the female counterpart line to his own. Romance blooms, but Camille isn't exactly what she seems...
This episode contains examples of off duty Czechoslovakian traffic wardens:
- Blessed with Suck: Being a Pleasure Gelf lets you become anybody's greatest sexual and romantic fantasy... which, of course, means nobody respects you for being you. It also causes confusion when dealing with groups of people, as it appears and converses different to everyone. Plus, with the power turned off, you look like a hideous Blob Monster.
- Body Horror: The Pleasure Gelf in its native form is a squamous mass of greenish-purple flesh with a single eyestalk poking out of it, which a disgusted Cat keeps pointing out.
- Brick Joke: Lister begins trying to teach Kryten to lie with fruit. Later on, Rimmer complains about Kryten being unbearably weird.Rimmer: He was waving a banana in front of me, calling it an aardvark.
- Cannot Tell a Lie: At the start, Kryten is fully unable to lie, unable to call a banana something else, like an aardvark. At the end of the episode, Kryten has derailed from this to Will Not Tell a Lie. At times.
- Character Tic: Even after learning to lie, Kryten remains unable to call Rimmer a smeghead, only managing to get out "smee-heeeee".
- It's All About Me: Take a guess who the Cat's ultimate love is.
- Nice Guy: Kryten really emphasizes this by not being bothered by Camille's true form at all, to the Gelf's own disbelief; he simply confesses she won't win any Miss Universe contests before pointing out that he wouldn't win them either.
- Overly Narrow Superlative: Kryten, when he tries to convince Camille to come with him, states she'll like the others. Well, one or two of them. Maybe.
- Shout-Out: The second half quickly mutates into a prolonged Casablanca reference.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Kryten and Camille fall in love, but he ultimately sends her back to her ex-husband Hector so she can benefit from his experiments in finding a way to tweak their genes and become something other than Pleasure Gelfs.