A guest dies at the hotel and Basil and the staff are left with the unpleasant task of discreetly removing the body while the doctor staying at the hotel waits for his sausages. Also, Polly and Manuel feed an elderly woman's pampered pet dog some extra spicy sausages after it bites them both.
Tropes appearing in this episode:
- Black Comedy: There's an entire scene devoted to Basil being overjoyed that the dead body he finds wasn't due to his own incompetence.
- Brick Joke: A dual one which caps off a subplot and finishes a thread introduced earlier to no completion. Basil is concerned about the age of some kippers, but he brings them up to Mr. Leeman at the chef's assurance. When Leeman turns out to be dead, Basil panics that it was the kippers that did it, but it's proven that Leeman had already been dead, and Basil took his silence for rudeness. While the kippers weren't lethal, the sausages turn out to be, as they are served to a demanding dog lady's pet and the doctor, who is insistent on having them. When he finally makes them himself during the chaos, he declares them unfit to eat, and the lady comes down, mourning her dog.
- The Comically Serious: Dr. Price. He's a doctor. And he wants his sausages!
- Eye Scream: Manuel suffers a nasty looking poke when Basil gets especially fed up. The director then says on the commentary that he wishes he'd put in some kind of squishy sound effect.
- Get Ahold Of Yourself Man: Miss Tibbs becomes hysterical when she sees the eponymous dead body. Basil tells Polly to slap her; she does, but Miss Tibbs faints instead of recovering.
- Oh, Crap!: When Basil learns that Mr. Leaman has died, he assumes that he ate a bad kipper and immediately panics.
- Sarcastic Confession:Mrs Tibbs: You're very cheerful this morning, Mr. Fawlty!Basil Fawlty: Yes, well, one of the guests has just died!