Calvin's inventions are piling up, much to the irritation of Sherman. He tries to one up Calvin with his own variation of the time machine made from a washing machine. Unfortunately, the machine malfunctions, and Hobbes, Andy, Sherman and Socrates are picked up and flung into four different time periods. Calvin takes hold of his own time machine and travels through time to rescue them.
- First, he heads to the late Jurassic period and saves Hobbes from some dinosaurs, though he stalls for a bit for the Rule of Drama.
- Next, it's off to the middle ages to save Andy, where Hobbes is accused of witchery and the duo are thrown in the dungeon.
- Socrates is jailed in the wild west, so the trio begrudgingly bust him out.
- Finally, Sherman is in the future (4128, to be exact), becoming a Mix-and-Match Critter to sell pet food. After a bit of arguing, they finally go home.
Unfortunately, getting home is a challenge in itself, as the time machine shuts itself off to save its low power. Sherman reluctantly helps him, and Socrates pranks him with a trained cockatiel.
- Adults Are Useless/Cassandra Truth: Calvin's parents aren't interested when Calvin tries to tell them his friends are in danger. To be fair, it sounds ridiculous.
- Brilliant, but Lazy/Mundane Utility/Reed Richards Is Useless: Sherman is annoyed that Calvin uses his potentially revolutionary inventions for trivial things like duplicating pizza and chilling soda.
- Captivity Harmonica: Socrates.
- Cowboy Episode: For Socrates.
- Duct Tape for Everything: Calvin fixes the hole in the time machine simply by duct-taping it.
- Enemy Mine: Calvin and Socrates team up to get revenge on Sherman for getting them all in this mess.
- Forgot I Could Fly: A variant - Calvin briefly forgets about the time machine's ability to fly.
- Future Shadowing: While in the future, Calvin and his friends find statues of themselves labeled "Our World's Heroes". Given how many times they would go on to save the world in the Calvinverse...
- Gasp!: Calvin finding where Sherman is, which gets wildly misinterpreted by Hobbes.
- Get Back to the Future: Everyone winds up in a different time period, and Calvin has to rescue them.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Sherman's invention basically turns on him, and he has to be rescued by Calvin.
- Idiot Programming: In-Universe - Calvin's time machine is set to shut itself off when its power is almost empty.
- And it has to load when it refuels.
- Insufferable Genius: Sherman.
- Medium Awareness: Calvin's reason for not simply going to a different time period when being antagonized by dinosaurs is because the chapter's not long enough yet.
- The Napoleon: Part of Calvin's reason for rescuing Sherman is because he doesn't want to be the shortest of the group.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Sherman's the one who got them all in trouble.
Calvin: So I was showing off my inventions. BIG DEAL! So your ego was smarting from it. SUCK IT UP AND BE A HAMSTER!
- At different points, Hobbes and Sherman blame it on Calvin for showing off his inventions, but Calvin refutes this on the grounds that Sherman could've just put up with it, but his ego got the better of him.
- Oh, Crap!: Calvin after his friends getting sucked into the time vortex.
- Our Time Machine Is Different: Sherman's is made from a washing machine.
- Playground Song: Socrates sings "563,000,002 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" in the jailhouse.
- Prison Episode: For Socrates.
- Ptero Soarer: Hobbes gets attacked by one.
- Race Against the Clock: During the final part, Calvin's Time Machine randomly starts to power down, so Calvin needs Sherman's help to refuel it.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: A minor one:Calvin: Okay, you know what? I'm not going to take this anymore. This is so not my fault! Okay, this is your fault, and nobody else's. So I was showing off my inventions. BIG DEAL! So your ego was smarting from it. SUCK IT UP AND BE A HAMSTER! YOU COULD'VE JUST PUT UP WITH IT LIKE THESE GUYS DID, BUT NO! YOU HAD TO TRY AND BE BETTER! WELL, LOOK WHERE IT'S GOTTEN YOU! IT'S GOTTEN YOU A CAREER IN SHOW BIZ!
- Say My Name: Several times when the crew is sucked in to the portal.
- And "CAAAAAAAAAALVVIIIIIIIIIIIIN!" when it turns out the Time Machine has to load.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: Calvin comes to save his friends from their respective places before they alter time.
- Shout-Out: The narrator describes the future as follows:It looks like the Jetsons were pretty accurate.
Just a few centuries too early.
- Tempting Fate:Calvin: Phew! I think we're out of range of their swords!(a sword emerges from the bottom of the time machine)Calvin: Well, I said "I think"...
- Witch Hunt: Hobbes is accused of this in the Middle Ages.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: When Calvin gasps when he learns that Sherman is in the future, Hobbes misinterprets it to mean something bad will happen and yells, "Abandon Time Machine!"
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: Everyone in The Middle Ages speaks like this.