Basic Trope: A woman looks like a man.
- Straight: Alice has short hair, a relatively flat chest, and a deep voice, leading others to mistake her for a man.
- Exaggerated: Even her family sometimes forget she is a woman.
- Downplayed: One person mistakes Alice for a man, but it is cleared up quick.
- Justified: The character in question is not a human but of a humanoid species whose females look masculine to a human.
- Inverted: Dude Looks Like a Lady.
- Subverted: Alice says she is actually Transgender.
- Double Subverted: Alice was joking about being transgender.
- Parodied: Alice has large breasts, so she is clearly a woman, but she is still mistaken for a dude due to her deep voice.
- Zig Zagged: Some people think Alice looks like a dude, some don't.
- Averted: Alice is female, and looks female.
- Enforced: The author is a feminist, and is trying to subvert gender stereotypes.
- Lampshaded: "Sorry, miss, I thought you were a man."
- Invoked: Alice decides to look male to avoid unwanted attention.
- Exploited: Alice uses the fact that she looks like a dude to pull a Sweet Polly Oliver in a place that doesn't allow women.
- Defied: When Alice realizes she looks male, she quickly decides to undergo a Girliness Upgrade.
- Discussed:Bob: "Hey, Alice! Have you ever been mistaken for a man?"
Alice: "No. Have you?"
- Conversed: ???
- Played for Laughs: Characters, including Alice, joke about how she looks like a man.
- Played for Drama: Being mistaken for a man causes Alice to have an identity crisis.
- Deconstructed: Alice begins to hate her masculine features, since it means she'll never be taken seriously as a woman.
- Reconstructed: In the end, Alice embraces her masculine looks, and instead of pushing her self to be more feminine, she decides to go the Bifauxnen route.
Back to Lady Looks Like a Dude