What about old tropes with new names?
How can you find the best but least linked tropes out there?
Worry no more: Trope Report is here.
Hello Troper! Bet you all thought we were gone, huh? Well good news for you we have returned with more news and more gusto than ever! Let us not sweat the small stuff like why we were gone for over a month, let us instead get straight to the matter. What did you come here for? News. That is what Trope Report is here to deliver! And here it is!
Hi new Tropers! Or rather, welcome to the forums, you little lurkers. This weeks greetings are extended to:
Gatling Gundam, Black Wolfe, Blurring, Courtway, fringeman, Robert Mc Nair, Hellman Sabian, Bellacide, Some Color Mage, Otherarrow, OMalley, and Neathalia!
Again, welcome to the forums!
Due to a recent uproar on the forums each Add Post comes with this friendly little reminder - ''Everybody: The wiki is only interested in hosting a friendly, civil forum. Check out the rules. We do enforce them.'' So please, remember to look at it before you type anything that might come back to bite you later.
Ads from Google are currently not on the forums. They have been replaced with Amazon sponsered ads. Read more below to see why.
The Troper on average is a lazy creature. He prefers to spend his days loafing around, eating pizza, and doing as little work as possible. But the one thing the Troper will become highly energetic for is the Change. The Change is like the Hunt for a wild beast. The Change makes the Troper using cunning and will power he normally doesnt use in his effort to create lasting impact on TV Tropes. Here are the documented changes of the week to show just what the Troper is capable of.
- Sneezing has been switched with the redirect Sneeze Cut since Sneezing is no more good than 'laughing' as a trope name would be.
- In one of those insta-renames we get every so often Absorption of Self has been renamed to Identity Absorption after a grand total of six posts in the discussion.
- GAR has been cut until everybody can put there heads together and figure out just what it is supposed to mean. This probably wont be happening any time soon.
- The example list on Moral Event Horizon has grown super huge and for managing purposes has been slpit off into spate pages by medium.
- Nuking The Fridge has been nuked. Forever. And some of us liked Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, so let it go!
- To the vast relief of those of us with poor eyes, Big Word Shout is no longer nearly an All-Blue Entry. And remember, folks: ONE word.
- Life Drain and Vampiric Feeding are sister tropes. Similar but different. Please read both before you add an example on one that may belong on the other.
- Blob Vs Juggernaut (Otherwise known as the Unstoppable Force Meets Immovable Object scenario) has been cut. Sorry X-Men fans, better luck next time.
- Our Goat People Are Different was not different enough from all the other X are different pages to keep that silly name. We now have to simpler and more direct Fauns and Satyrs.
- Non Sequitur has been moved to Non Sequitur Fallacy and the old Non Sequitur is now the Super Trope for all those tropes which comes out of nowhere, like Big-Lipped Alligator Moment and Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?.
- First Person Camera is now In-Universe Camera. Please read the description to figure out what that means in comparison P.O.V. Cam and Camera Abuse.
- An account of not everyone being familiar with The Usual Suspects and not wanting it spoiled for them, The Usual Suspects Ending has been changed to The Ending Changes Everything.
- Raised by Wolves kept getting mixed up with Wild Child, so everything has been moved to the new name, No Social Skills, which is not as amusing but gets the point across. It was also frequently used for children raised by animals — and that's what the name is exclusively used for now.
- Hardy Boys Investigation has been renamed for the sake of clarity. It is now The Meddling Kids Are Useless. Hooray for Scooby-Doo references!
- Like the Goatmen listed above, Our Sirens Are Louder has been renamed to Enthralling Siren. Sounds much prettier this way, to tell the truth.
- We Will Use Micros In The Future has been renamed to Our Graphics Will Suck in the Future.
- Due to the nature of certain tropes new banners have been added to them. Depending on the page they have received or will soon receive a Flamebait banner, A Fridge (logic) banner, or a Subjective banner. Youll soon run into them and each banner will give you a little heads up on what the deal is.
- The Fanfic Recommendation pages now have their own little review section. These reviews are limited to 400 words. So if you liked or disliked a fanfic and wish to show it without nattering up the main page, now you can!
A matter of importance to editing the wiki is the Spoiler policy. To prevent too much of a work from being ruined for someone who has not read it yet certain tropes that spoil a work just by their names will be moved to the bottom of the example list on work pages. To prevent additions of a spoiler trope to a page that already has it in the right section please see this example of how this all works:
Spoiler Warning Text
Whereas someone editing the article would see:
- Double Entendre - bunch of text
- Downer Ending moved to Spoiler section, please don't re-add here.
- Drama Bomb - Bunch of text
Spoiler Warning Text
And the big one, The Situation. As those blue words obviously show you this has warrented its own page to explain what has happened. For a complete update on what has happened please read this thread, the General Announcements, and The Situation page itself. In the meantime here is the abridged version:
On October 27, 2010, Google pulled their ads after they got a report that TV Tropes was not complying with their program policies. Specifically, adult material Google did not wish to have its ads hosted with was the problem. Since Google had never enforced this policy before and we never bothered to enforce it among ourselves it was not a problem until some filed a complaint against us. Google acted according to their own rules and for the moment we are without their support. For the time being we are using alternative methods of support. Thats why you keep getting pop-ups. No need to worry though; there will be a few modification to the wiki that have been or will be implemented soon. Once these are in place TV Tropes will appeal the decision to Google at which point we will no doubt get our ads and the revenue they provide back. The changes that will be most obvious are:
1. Anonymous Editing is no longer allowed. Anyone who wishes to edit the wiki must sign up and sign the TOS. Signing the TOS also applies to already Known Tropers.
2. Adult or Mature pages as well as the forum are to be walled off from the rest of the site and you will need to pass a warning page before you see them. So click on the work or trope, see the This is for older people. Are you sure you want to see it? page, click the Yeah, sure, whatever. Button and youll see the page. Known Tropers will be able to bypass this feature through their Profiles.
3. Additional methods of revenue are currently being discussed. Most prominent is the project to make TV Tropes merchandise ! Want a Tv Tropes Will Ruin Your Life t-shirt? Or a Lethal Chef Apron? Vote in this thread to help us decide what well make and you can buy! Or if you just want to help with nothing in return donate to TvTropes here!
More information will be provided as The Situation unfolds.
Spotlight Stealing Trope:
You know that thing that we did in Havana, with the scotch-tape and the calculators? Yes, it turns out that they want us to do it again, only with fifty college co-eds.
A Noodle Incident is an incident from the far past or the recent past, with key details omitted for humorous purposes. Speculating about an incident that involved chickens, fifteen pens, and the entire cast of Gilligans Island and resulted in mass deportations is much more interesting than actually hearing it.
Speaking of which, your sister wanted to know about the cups- I HAVE BLOCKED THAT MEMORY FROM MY MIND AND I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT! ENOUGH!
Needs More Wiki Love:
Don't we all need more love?
Edits From The Editor:
To anyone wondering where the site servers are located here is Fast Eddie with the answer,
"It moves. It is on Pacific time for historical reasons and none of the founders were living in similar timezones when we started up and just picked CA time out of a hat, figuratively."
"The servers we are on today are in Texas. We may soon be able to move to an 'edge' system, which means the answer to "Where is it based?" could literally be "The Internet."
He says figuratively, but clearly this is to mean that TV Tropes favors California over all other states. Awesome.
Add More Here:
Thats all we can do for today everyone. Thank you for taking a look at the latest news and hopefully this will encourage you to take action on behalf of the wiki. Don't listen to all the doom prophets and naysayers, the wiki is not going anywhere. We have encountered a minor setback and what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger! Expect more Trope Reports (on time) in the near future! Until next time!