Santi White (born September 25, 1976), better known as Santigold (formerly Santogold), is an alternative musician. She is notable for shaking up black stereotypes in music. The goal of her first album was to "help break down boundaries and genre classifications" and show that she wasn't "a black woman singing R&B or hip hop." Fortunately, Santigold was able to meet this goal, since Santogold became one of 2008s most critically-acclaimed albums.
- Santogold (2008)
- Master of My Make Believe (2012)
- 99 Cents (2015)
Tropes relating to Santigold:
- Berserk Button Santigold was pissed that critics & online music vendors were labeling her music as hip hop, rap, and R&B. She believes that it was basely solely on her being black, and called it racist.
- R&B in general. Santigold hates the genre, and gets angry that shes asked about it.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly Santogold is a mixture of indie rock, dub, electronic & post-punk.
- Self-Titled Album An odd case. Santigold was formerly Santogold, but obscure jewelry entrepreneur, failed movie maker, and scam artist Santo Gold came out of the dark after 20 years threatened to sue if she didnt change it. This change didnt reflect on her album title.
- Something Something Leonard Bernstein: "Chasing Shadows" is difficult to understand if you're not accustomed to reggae toasting. Doesn't make it any less fun.
- Surreal Music Video - "L.E.S. Artistes". It's an homage to The Holy Mountain, which is pretty much all you need to know about in terms of surreality.