Husky and Medley is a 2009 Yuri romance manga illustrated by pixiv artist Kurosada. The dialogue is almost entirely based on chat logs housed on the Japanese internet forum 2channel, which purportedly chronicles the real life events of the eponymous characters, and making it something of a Distaff Counterpart to Densha Otoko.
The story begins when a female high school student (code-named "Medley") who attends an all-girls school turns to her fellow 2ch anons for advice on how to find the "weak-point" of one of her classmates (code-named "Husky"), who Medley has had a long-standing crush on. On the urging of her compatriots, Medley initiates a somewhat suggestive conversation with Husky via text-message, and eventually builds up the nerve to invite Husky over to her house.
What follows is a chronicle of the girls' budding relationship, with Medley dropping in to update 2ch about their progress and to seek out suggestions on how to take things to the next level.
As of 2019, online profiles claiming to be Medley indicate the couple is purportedly celebrating ten years together. To celebrate the decade, Medley has begun periodic internet radio shows on YouTube.
Husky and Medley contains examples of:
- Affectionate Nickname: "Husky" refers to Medley's initial description of her crush, which included the fact that she owns a Siberian husky. (Thus putting the "pet" in "pet name".)
- Covert Pervert: Medley is surprised to learn during an after-school encounter in an empty classroom that Husky, who everyone thinks of as the perfect strait-laced schoolgirl, actually has a bit of a dominance kink. After Husky holds Medley up against a wall in an embarrassing position while kissing her, Medley reports to 2ch that "this was the day I became a masochist".
- Gayngst: Downplayed in chapter 6; while eating lunch with their friends, Medley and Husky overhear some girls at another table expressing disgust over a couple of lesbian students. Hearing it affects both Medley and Husky, but they're more worried about how the other one took it and resolve not to allow such people and opinions to get between them.
- Happily Ever After: A few years after the initial 2ch postings, someone saying they were Husky posted to another 2ch thread that they were both now in college and still together.
- Meaningful Name: Both of the main characters "names" are chosen by the 2ch anons following the story, mostly for ease of reference. "Medley" is chosen from the word "me-dorei" or "female slave" in Japanese, and also incidentally evokes how the text messages she sends to Husky are often randomly selected from among the anons' suggestions, making her part of the conversation a medley of various forum users.
- Playing Cyrano: 2chan is Medley's Cyrano. It goes surprisingly well considering how horrifying the premise is.
- Relax-o-Vision: When Husky and Medley's lovemaking progresses to the main event, the manga comedically censors the action by cutting to a relaxing view of a ship sailing through a beautiful fjord with the caption "due to recent developments, the planned program has been modified." Husky and Medley's speech bubbles continue, hinting what's going on and leaving the visuals up to the readers' imagination.
- Roman à Clef: The story is purportely based on a real-life relationship, with the two girls' identities concealed by nicknames.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: A story of same-sex love between two girls in high school.
- Shout-Out: In one translation at least:"Thanks, Tenko. Thenko."
- Yuri: A manga focusing on the romantic and eventually sexual relationship between two young women. While it's relatively down-to earth and realistic compared to Yuri written as fiction, since it is based on what was claimed to be a true story, love between two girls is represented as a pure and beautiful thing.