Elyne Mitchell's Silver Brumby note novel chronicles the life of Thowra, a wild foal whose father is killed by the vicious Brolga. In accordance with narrative tradition, Thowra eventually grows strong enough to form his own herd and defeat the Brolga...although not without gaining humans' attention. Further sequels followed Thowra's descendants and allies.
The series had two adaptations- a cartoon series and a film- and was rereleased in omnibus format during 2012.
- Born During a Storm: Thowra was born during a storm. It's part of the reason he got his name, which is an Aboriginal word for "wind".
- Elemental Motifs: Thowra is associated with the wind. He was named the Aboriginal word for "wind" because he was Born During a Storm, and his mother believed he would have to run as fast as the wind to avoid being hunted for his rare cream color. It is also implied he can shapeshift into a hawk.
- From Stray to Pet: A lot of the horses caught by humans come to enjoy their new life- there's something to be said for regular food and shelter.
- Meaningful Name: The main characters are typically named for their speed (Thowra note , Baringa note , Lightning) or their appearance (Kunama note , Golden, Wurring note ).
- Stray Animal Story: The Silver Brumby is about a feral horse.
- Weak, but Skilled: Thowra and Baringa, while colts. Though not as bulky as other horses, they were fast and graceful enough to survive (if not win) every fight they got in. On top of that, Bel Bel taught them how to stealthily escape unwanted attention.
- Animals Lack Attributes: Averted. The male horses are all drawn with visible sheaths.
- Catchphrase: Wombat has three ("Outta my way, outta my way!", "That'll be right, that'll be right!", and "Typical, typical!"), and he passes them on to his son.
- Good Feels Good: One episode starts with Benny explaining the nature of this trope.Benny: It's a funny thing about doing something good or something kind. You do it because it feels right, it's proper. It's not so much what's expected, but what you want to do.
- The Mentor: Benny the kangaroo is something like this to Thowra.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: After being a major character in season 1, Storm suddenly disappears for the rest of the series.