Strong Motion is Jonathan Franzen's second novel. Written in 1992 and set in Boston, it follows a large cast of characters and multiple storylines dealing with a bout of earthquakes, a family struggle over a large inheritance, corporate corruption, religious fervour and abortion.
- Activist-Fundamentalist Antics
- Big, Screwed-Up Family: The Hollands.
- Coming of Age Story: For Louis.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Sweeting-Aldren management.
- Dysfunction Junction: Every character.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Louis and Renee.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: Averted.
- May–December Romance: Sort of. Renee being 7 years older than Louis is very evident in their differing levels of maturity, especially at the start of the book.
- The Slacker: Louis Holland is a sympathetic variant.