RATS: 252 Chances at Redemption is a web fiction written by kisikil. It takes place from the view of Guin Valentine, an awkward high school graduate who wakes up in an underwater military facility with her twin brother, Guy Valentine, and most of their closest friends. Inspired by other death game stories like Danganronpa and Zero Escape, the story stars teenagers. Supposedly, this means that by the end of this fiction, most of the cast will be dead.
This story provides examples of:
- Anyone Can Die: A trope standard enough in death game stories. As of Phase 2.3, nobody has kicked the bucket... yet.
- Big Bad: The kidnapper behind this situation.
- Childhood Friends: Guy and Guin have been friends with Nichole since kindergarten.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Guy and Nichole are heavily implied to be this.
- Everyone Is Gay: Confirmed by kisikil, no one in the cast is straight.
- Everyone Meets Everyone: Once Guin gets out of her own cell, she meets up with her brother Guy, and soon after, everyone else in the main cast.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: In Phase 2.1, the group learns that they are missing memories between June 2nd, 2052 and August 25th, 2052.
- The Leader: Guy and Guin count as both, though Guy takes on the role much easier.
- Mascot Villain: Kairos, the cartoon rat.
- Ontological Mystery: The group finds themselves trapped in an underwater military facility with no means of escape. How troublesome.
- Power Trio: Guin, Casper, and Selica.
- Ship Tease: Several are hinted throughout.
- 20 Minutes into the Future: Takes place in 2052, but the world seems relatively the same, just with bigger scientific achievements, changes in history, and superior architecture (like an underwater military base!).
- You All Meet in a Cell: The story begins with everyone each locked in their own cells. After escaping, Guin and Guy seem to be the only one really shook by this. Most likely because they were the only ones faced with toxic fumes as a timer.