The Uniques is a series that definitely knows how to balance its moments of drama with humor.
Volume 1: Come Together (Issues 1-4)
- Kid Quick's Motor Mouth tendencies can be very amusing. She claims that she only does it when she's nervous, but nobody else is fooled.
- In the third issue, Hope telepathically connects with Quake to help him concentrate on controlling his powers. In the next panel, he describes the experience as "stimulating". Hope happens to look down and see a bulge in his pants. She promptly freaks out.Hope: "If it doesn't involve your junk you just don't care do you?
- After the team's first training session together, Hope is massaging her head with an ice pack after the disasterous attempt.Hope: "Lies! There's nothing you love more."
- The team bonding sessions are equal parts funny and heartwarming, whether its going out bowling or sitting on the couch at 2:00 in the morning watching the news.
- The second training session has some hilarious dialogue from the simulated bad guy. Motherboard creates a simulation where a group of bad guys have taken the president hostage.Villain: "You nincompoops will never save your precious President!"Fake!President: "Help! I'm the President and I can't get up!"
Singe: "Hey, he could still be alright, though."Singe: "Oh. Nope. Definitely not, now, no."
- In a Funny Background Event, while the team is busy fighting the simulated bad guys, the Mooks are busy carrying the president away in the background. When Nikki reminds them, the minions are busy stabbing the guy repeatedly.
- Kid Quick immediately lets out a long,"Pooooooop...
- When the team finally moves into their new headquarters, this conversation occurs.Telepath: "This place is going to cost a fortune to heat in the winter."Motherboard: "Singe has fire powers."Telepath: "Oh, yeah. Sweet."
Volume 2: Paint it Black (Issues 5-7)
- Hope and Nikki escape from their captors by deliberately failing The Bechdel Test, and lampshade it.Nikki: Sorry, Alsion Bechdel, it was a necessary evil.
- What makes this funnier is that Hope is stoned out of her gourd the whole time, thanks to a helmet designed to prevent her from using her powers.
- Motherboard calling for reinforcements in the middle of a Big Badass Battle Sequence. We only hear her end of the conversation.Nikki: "Hello, 911 Emergency? I need CALIBRE down here, now!"Nikki: "No, sir— this is a 12-man Unique throw-down so regular cops aren't going to—"Nikki: "What!?Nikki: "No! I won't hold!"
Volume 3: And Justice for All (Issues 8-10)
- Hope and Connie's cheerful reunion is derailed when Connie keeps flirting with Quake, leading to Hope repeatedly using Connie's full name. "CONSCIENCE SAGE!"