Magic: The Gathering is a tabletop game franchise, created by Richard Garfield and introduced in 1993 by Wizards of the Coast. It is centered around the multiverse of Dominia, where powerful wizards called planeswalkers harness the power of various colors of mana to conquer a number of worlds.
Under the surface of the collectible card game that lies at the core of MtG lies an expansive storyline, with each set representing a period of history, a world in the multiverse, or a combination of the two.
Magic: The Gathering contains the following media:
- Books: Several series of books in the storyline, with each cycle corresponding to an expansion set in the card game.
- A collectible card game: The core of the franchise.
- Comic books: Several miniseries of tie-in comics published by Wizards of the Coast and Dark Horse Comics.
- Video Games: A number of video games of varying quality.
- Webcomics: Several webcomics that can be found on the MtG official site.