This unsold Pilot Movie, broadcast over NBC in 1983, has the same basic premise as its 1940 namesake. It stars Bob Denver as a chemist whose lab chimp has created an invisibility formula, and Alexa Hamilton as the chemist's niece, Sandy Martinson, a struggling newspaper reporter who becomes an Invisible Streaker after she wipes up the spilled formula in his lab.
Sandy uses her invisibility to investigate a series of museum robberies, while her uncle seeks an antidote.
Tropes in this film:
- Body Paint: Invisible!Sandy applies it to her face and hands to give herself a visible form.
- Brainy Brunette: Sandy isn't a scientific genius like her uncle, but she is still highly intelligent.
- Car Chase Shoot-Out: Between the museum robbers and the police, when the robbers force Sandy to drive their escape car.
- Covered in Mud: This happens to Sandy late in the film, when she falls into a mud puddle. A Special Effect Failure preserves her modesty.
- Ditzy Genius: Sandy's uncle, being a Gilligan expy and all.
- Da Editor: Sandy's boss at the newspaper office.
- Invisible Streaker: As already mentioned, Sandy becomes this after she wipes up the spilled formula.
- Phone Booth Changing Room: Sandy enters a phone booth in order to become invisible and sneak into the art museum. Her uncle has to stall for time with a Cassandra Truth.
- Statuesque Stunner: Sandy is at least as tall as her uncle.
- Sunglasses at Night: Sandy wears dark glasses until she finds a pair of brown contact lenses.