An independent film made in 2009, Lo is first and foremost a love story. Albeit, a love story with demons, infernal pacts and demonology books. A loner named Justin falls in love with a quirky girl named April. She is kidnapped by demons, and leaves behind a book. Looking for any clue to save April, he finds a bookmark, showing how to summon a demon named Lo. So he does. Enter Lo.
Notable for taking place entirely in one room and remaining gripping despite the fact.
This film contains examples of:
- Affably Evil: Lo, Jeez, arguably all the demonic characters.
- Berserk Button: Lo's illusions progress until Justin believes the entire legions of hell are laughing at him. He snaps like a fucking twig.
- Chekhov's Gun: Jeez first appears while holding a copy of The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus. Also, the Bookmark in the Book, marking the page on how to summon Lo.
- Heroic Sacrifice: April agrees to go back to Hell with Jeez willingly if he'll allow her to save Justin's life first.
- I Lied: Lo likes to do this.It was poison! AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
- Meet Cute: April and Justin's first meeting. While he was having lunch at a restaurant, she came out of nowhere and started eating his food, gushing at how good it tasted while he stared at her in wonder. So awkward, but so unbelievably adorable.
- Mundane Made Awesome: The flashbacks are told in the form of Vaudeville style performances, and Plot Exposition is administered-IN SONG!
- Sophisticated as Hell:
Jeez: Dude. Dude.
- Jeez dresses extremely formally but talks kinda like a fancy stoner.
- Lo also switches between ominous archaic English and crass, slurred ramblings.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: April and Justin.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Most of the movie is Lo doing this to Justin. Justin turns it around on him at the end.
- The Reveal: April and Lo are the same entity.
- You Are Worth Hell: Justin tries to do this with April, but she refuses to let him.