The film follows 28-year old Megan (Knightley), who has vague aspirations and a masters degree to become a family counselor, but no real ambition. Her boyfriend and parents urge her to attend career seminars or counseling, and after an unexpected marriage proposal at her high school friend's (Ellie Kemper) wedding, she runs off to a liquor store, where she meets high schooler Annika (Moretz). Their unlikely friendship fuels her decision to tell her boyfriend she will be attending the seminar, while she actually spends time with Annika and her father Craig (Rockwell).
This film contains examples of:
- Age-Gap Romance: Megan falls for Craig, who is old enough to have a high school aged daughter.
- Animal Motifs: Tortoises for Megan.
- Drunk Driver: Megan covers for one of Annika's friends when he drunkenly crashes the car they're in. Unfortunately, she had a gin earlier in the day and fails the breathalyzer test.
- Evil Lawyer Joke: Discussed when Megan and Craig first meet and she finds out he's a lawyer.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Between Megan and Annika.
- Omni Disciplinary Lawyer: Megan calls Craig, a divorce attorney, when she's arrested for a DUI.