Do you remember how The End of Evangelion had somewhat of a downer ending?
What if it was the catalyst for the Traveler's awakening?
That premise, brought to you by Gregg Landsman, author of Nobody Dies and Glorious Shotgun Princess, spirals out into multiple Shinjis, Guardians from all the Angelic races, and Rei Ayanami with a sack full of doorknobs. So in other words, the special brand of crazy that only Gregg can bring.
Can be read here.
Tropes used for the GLORY OF THE CRUCIBLE! in the Extension of Evangelion...
- Alternate Universe: In this story, even though Third Impact resulted in the end of humanity...it also woke the Traveler up, allowing for humanity and the Angels to arise into new life.
- Brain Uploading: Gendo turned himself into an Exo. Warlock Shinji is also an Exo.
- Clones Are People, Too: As stated before, there are multiple Shinji Ikari's running aroundnote . According to Ranger Ikari, it's because he (they?) was at ground zero of Third Impact. The others we meet appear to be fine with there being more that one of them, and The Speaker, the oldest of the Shinji's, says that he doesn't like to be thought of as the original.
- His Name Really Is "Barkeep": The various Shinjis tend to take their job as their first name, in order to differentiate between them.
- Painting the Fourth Wall: The Lelielim speak through various squeals and shrieks. To communicate this to the reader, their dialogue is shown as an emote followed by an exclamation mark.
- Physical God: Zeruel is literally known as the God of Might.
- Ship Sinking: Played With. Asuka starts by telling Main!Shinji that she's gotten her issues sorted out and no longer wants to sleep with him... but she is in a relationship with The Speaker, the oldest of the Shinji's, and refers to him as "her Shinji"
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Played With. New!Shinji isn't phased by finding out that Pen-Pen is a Guardian, but he is confused by Pen-Pen pulling a rocket launcher out of nowhere.