Rise from Darkness is a 9-chapter Metroid fanfic by Syntax. Published in 2001, it is the oldest completed Metroid fic on Fanfiction Dot Net. It predates even Metroid Prime and, as a result, isn't consistent with most canon. The basis of the story was to present a dark and unstable version of Samus.
The story starts with Samus been asked by a politician named Maxwell Ballard to put out a hit. He wants some people who have dirt on him killed. He also wants one of the men's entire family killed, as well as a woman that Maxwell impregnated. The rest of the fic revolves around Samus killing each of the requested people.
Rise from Darkness provides examples of:
- Adaptational Job Change: Samus acts as a Professional Killer instead of just an alien-themed mercenary. This also involves doing illegal jobs behind the Federation's back.
- Adaptational Villainy: Samus is presented as a stoic killer with no moral compass.
- Adaptation Personality Change:
- Samus is presented as a dark, twisted individual.
- Armstrong Huston's personality is completely different than in the comics because the writer couldn't remember his canon personality at the time of writing.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Samus is unemotional and prefers to keep a stoic mask up at all times. She has No Social Skills and is considered creepy by others. There are scenes where she either hallucinates, loses her grip on what is happening around her, or lapses into violent Imagine Spots.
- Bad People Abuse Animals: When a dog approaches Samus, she desires to kill it and mentions wanting to eat it.
- Bloodier and Gorier: Canon features non-graphic death and minimal blood. Rise from Darkness has Samus blowing bloody holes into people's abdomens.
- Dark Fic: The story takes the dark atmosphere of the series and exaggerates it. Samus isn't just an alien bounty hunter—she's an assassin with no qualms on killing people, no matter their age.
- Death of a Child: Samus kills both a 6-year old and a heavily pregnant woman.
- Edible Theme Naming: At the start of chapter 3, Jarred can't remember the name of a woman except that it was food-related.Of course, there were the girls. What was this ones name? Olive? No, Cherry. Some sort of food, that he was sure.
- "It" Is Dehumanizing: Samus sees two of her targets as monstrous beings. She refers to them as "it".
- Killed Mid-Sentence: Jarred is killed while begging for his life.
- No Social Skills: Samus' social skills are off. She's considered rude and/or creepy by others around her.
- Rage Against the Reflection: In the first chapter, Samus punches her reflection in the mirror because she hates seeing herself afraid.
- Samus Is a Girl: Samus' armor masks her voice into a unisex, robotic voice. She's known as a man to others.
- The Stoic: Samus prefers to be stoic and emotionless.
- Would Hurt a Child: Corrupt politician Maxell Ballard asks Samus to kill six people for him. Others declined his offer for moral reasons. As it turns out, he wants an entire family killed, even the six year old son. He also wants the woman he impregnated killed. Samus has no issue committing the assassinations. She also later looks at a group of kindergartners and wishes them all death.
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Samus makes fun of Maxwell's children's names:Samus: "Husband to Jana, father of Eriva and Nothrthel. Love the names."